Tech question for anyone familiar with the HKS EVC4

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2003, 10:28 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right,

Been playing around with the HKS EVC4 on my car, trying to find the optimum setup.

My experimentation has revealed that by reducing the gain figure (that has a range of 50-150), boost response is noticeably better.

However, when the gain is set lower, the car tends to shoot past the boost target that you set for it, so you have to set the boost level actually lower than the peak boost you want.

e.g. at 1.5bar setting and 100 gain you will see approx 1.5 bar peak boost whereas if you set to say, 1.3 bar and 80 gain , you'll still see 1.5 bar peak but the boost response it noticeably less sluggish.

Now here's the problem. I've noticed that sometimes the gain alters itself for no apparent reason.

You may set to 1.3 bar at 80 gain, but the car will suddenly start to feel less responsive over time. Checking the gain will reveal that it has self-altered to say 92 or even 103, so inevitably the boost is lower. Resetting the gain back to 80, it may stay like that for a while, but then will revert back to the higher settings.

I've also had spikes of boost on odd occasions as high as 1.85 bar!! (as seen on the peak hold of my gauge) for no apparent reason, then boost returns to normal.

Does anyone have any idea or explanation as to why this is happening?
Old 05 November 2003, 10:41 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Does it have a self-learning mode? It sounds like it's realising it's over-shooting the mark and changing the gain to produce the 1.3 bar it's set for.

Old 06 November 2003, 08:12 PM
Wizard
Scooby Regular

It has a self leaning micro-processor to keep an eye on things for you.I've had mine on the car now for about a year i ha dit installed and set-up by Nito , from Nitosport give him a call he should b eable to help out. Hope this helps
Chris
Old 06 November 2003, 10:04 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Have you got instructions for the HKS EVC 4 Rich

I have same unit in my car and experienced the same as you

I have a full set of instructions if you require

Cheers

Rob

P.S Thanks for all the replies you put to my many posts in the last few days, been such a god send ... Cheers
Old 06 November 2003, 10:10 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

I remember in manual it saying something about AUTOADJUST setting, this adjusts settings to allow for wear on turbo over time etc,, maybe thats kicked in???

Rob

The Gain is like a calibration setting isnt it, so if theres a diffo between setting and actual boost, this allows for it..

If I am telling you stuff you allready know...SOZ!!

Rob
Old 06 November 2003, 10:13 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Why cant i edit my posts!!!!!

I did the learning mode on mine this weekend as was overboosting and all over the place, stopped me having it fully RR on saturday..

Once I had done the learning mode which was simple, The overboosting stopped and it behaves itself.... In learning mode it apparantly records the stock boost of car, then optimises it. then you put in you low/high setting and Short burst control if required.

I can fax manual if you like... Or borrow it by post... maybe

Rob
Old 07 November 2003, 09:29 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies.

I've got a copy of the instructions somewhere. Have to dig them out. Thanks for the offer to send them though, Trebor. No worries about the help in the other threads. Glad to help.

That Autoadjust does ring a bell actually. I'll have to get the instructions out and have a play again this weekend.

The gain setting is to adjust the speed at which the boost comes in. I'd guess it has something to do with when the unit starts to allow boost pressure through to the actuator, as it "holds onto" the signal.

I've done a couple of mods since the last time I did learning mode - just being lazy. I'll try learning mode this weekend, turn off that auto adjust then lock the unit and see if that helps.

cheers

Rich