Notices

Steering wheel wobble at 70?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2001, 05:51 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

When I bought my scoob I found the steering wheel wobbles violently at around 70-75 mph but is alright past 80 (On a private road officer) I have to put both hands on the wheel to control it. Had my wheels rebalanced but this made it slightly worse. The steering feels fine the rest of the time so I don't know what to try. Has anyone else had a similar problem with theirs? By the way I have a 93 wrx

Cheers
Old 18 June 2001, 09:58 PM
neil@wrx
Scooby Regular

HI Charlie H

I have the same problem to but spun my 93 WRX at 70mph hit curb going backwords!
got new wheels now going for new wheel bearings next!
I all so have rubing from the front
over 30mph
try swoping front and back wheels
mine felt better

NEIL
Old 19 June 2001, 11:23 AM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Cheers, I'll try that and see if it makes any difference
Old 19 June 2001, 11:44 AM
rovo
Scooby Regular

You also might want to check the tires circumference if there is a "high" spot, you can see this when balancing the wheels. If there is put these tires on the rear.
Old 20 June 2001, 12:41 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had something similar recently. Garage checked the balancing and it turned out that one of my tyres is out of shape (after a brush with a kerb) - so will need replacing...

Andrew
Old 20 June 2001, 07:24 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
have you got any thing like UltraSeal in the tyres? to stop u getting 'flats'?

if you hav um re balanced it makes no differance cus the balancing alters cus the stuff has moved round.

the reason your s/wheel will wobble is that theres too much UltraSeal stuff in the tyres of the size they are!
i had this problem, it was sorted when the correct anount of UltraSeal was re-applied. had to get the old stuff cleaned out first though + get wheels re-balanced correctly b4 the stuff was re inserted!

Phil
Old 20 June 2001, 07:55 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

No ultra seal, just normal tyres. Maybe I'll try and find someone who can balance wheels on the car?

Trending Topics

Old 20 June 2001, 09:17 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
It sounds very like a wheel problem. Is it possible that the wheels are balanced, but one may be buckled after dinging a kerb (very easily done)?

If the wheel is balanced with the safety cover on the machine, maybe you can't see it wobbling. Maybe worth a try.

Richard.
Old 20 June 2001, 09:25 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Charlie,

I have had the same problem on two of my cars, both times it turned out that the tyres were out of true. New tyre obviosly cured the vibration.

Lee
Old 21 June 2001, 04:33 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, but I had new tyres fitted 2 weeks ago and the problem is still there so it must be something a bit more sinister
Old 22 June 2001, 09:21 AM
mkk33
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with my 94, wobbled like f*** around 75mph. Rectified by balancing the wheel and some tracking work.

Should be alright now...
Old 22 June 2001, 04:33 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

I'll get the tracking and geometry sorted together. Might as well get prodrive settings done while I'm at it
Old 06 July 2001, 04:13 PM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Charlie,

How did you get on with your "Wobble"?

I'm alos having problems with my 95 WRX with a wobble at 70mph upwards, had the balancing etc.. checked and still the same.

I'd heard that it could be Diff Bearings or vibration caused by a drive shaft.

Gotta get it sorted as it's driving me mad and shaking my arms to ****.

Octane Man
Old 07 July 2001, 08:55 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Octane man - not had chance to get it looked at. (I have a company van so I only use the scoob at weekends) If you find out before me please let me know and I'll do the same if I get mine sorted first
Old 14 July 2001, 10:08 AM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Talking

Charlie,

Well I just had a visit to a small tyre garage with better personal service & knowledge.
I mentioned my problem and he said before he'd check the 4 wheel alignment he'd check the balancing.
I mentioned that they had been doen 8 dyas ago by Kwik Fit and he just chuckled and said watch and see.
He took of the first one and it was way out, added some weights(35g) to the inside and done the next one and that one too was out and added some weights to that(10g).
Took the car for a drive and wobble just about gone, I went back and told him and he said the backs could be slightly unbalanced.

I mentioned that I had chnged fronts to backs to try and aleviate the problem, I'm popping in later this week to get them balanced.

So my advice is to go to somewhere near you where you know people have had good service and don't trust the likes of the monkeys that kwik fit employ.

Good luck

O.M.
Old 14 July 2001, 08:09 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Cheers m8, I'll get them checked again and see what happens
Old 16 July 2001, 10:51 AM
Ragos Elias
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

I got a similar ( maybe?) problem.Vibration comes early from 80-90Km and becames more noticeable after 120Km, and when braking I feel it at the st.wheel and sometimes at the brake pedal..
I checked out allignment and rebalanced the wheels, but the problem still there.I have swaped two new prodrive disks (294mm)have them bend for 1000!!km very carefully but nothing.
I checked also the bushes all around- ok.
Changed from P-zero to S-03 but nothing.
Subaru service said that I must do an on car rebalance of wheels so they can rebalance any possible problems of the driving shafs.

Any help is acceptable.

Elias
Old 23 July 2001, 03:06 PM
Octane Man
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well my wobble came back and I've had the wheels balanced times at different garages.

I took her in to a garage that used to be Subaru, now a Mitsubishi dealer and they checked it out for me. Put it up in the air and checked out the wheels etc..

My problem is that one of the wheels is slightly buckled and this is causing problems, they also pointed out that the wheels are originally for a four stud. Mine have had the extra hole professionally drilled before I got the car and he said that this slightly weakens them.

Off to buy some new wheels now, I was just looking for an excuse really.

O.M.

Anyone in the North East who wants a cheap pair of Pirelli P Zero's, 3 months old. Cost 240 quid will take sensible offers..
Old 23 July 2001, 07:23 PM
CHIZZER
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Guys,
I am Mark from Tyres Northampton,you definetly have some sort of wheel balance problem,maybe a buckled wheel,maybe just some other tyre companies incompitence of balancing your wheels properly.
Some tyre companies only balance your wheels dynamically and some tyre companies balance your whels properly.
My suggestion to all that have a vibration problem is to find an independent tyre company that actually gives a SH-t to make sure that you at least eliminate wheel balance as your problem.
If anyone has any problems then they can email me.
REGARDS
MARK (TYRES NORTHAMPTON)
Old 23 July 2001, 07:31 PM
Derres Catalano
Scooby Newbie

test
Old 24 July 2001, 10:59 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice mark, I've always had a wobble to some extent but it's seems worse now I've had new tyres fitted. Can a subaru have it's wheels balanced on the car or would the 4wd screw things up?
Old 26 July 2001, 01:19 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I had four new tyres fitted and had a similar problem. Turned out it was the balancing, which after four attempts was sorted out. Problem was caused by the wrong type of balance being done - car is now fine with stick on weights. The tyre place said the best way to balance a wheel was to use knock on weights and that you would more likely have problems with stick ons. I knew there was nothing wrong with the wheels because they were alright with the old tyres on and the Subaru original equipment knock on weights.