Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edited to remove duplicate post

[Edited by greasemonkey - 11/2/2003 7:47:07 PM]
Old 11 February 2003, 07:46 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Having purchased an sti5 3-4 months ago, my 1st track day showed me how much oversteer these cars are prone to.
Say what? As is pretty clear from the other posts on this thread, you have the terms "oversteer" and "understeer" mixed up. Oversteer is when the rear wheels lose grip first and the back end comes round (the car literally over steers). Understeer is when the front end loses grip first and the car pushes straight on (i.e. the car doesn't steer enough).

From this, can we assume that when you first bought the car, it was actually prone to understeer?

Since that track day, I have done the following mods:
4) Geomatry alignment, with negative camber and toe in at front
Compared with what reference? How far out was the car in the first place, and how much negative camber and toe-in was added? If the car was understeering in the first place, adding/increasing toe-in should increase its understeering tendency, so that's an odd choice. Increasing negative camber should increase the bite of the front wheels once settled into the corner, although whether this is the correct course of action would obviously depend on what the camber was before the car was tinkered with.

5) Added a 6 point roll cage
Hope you take this out when you're using the car on the road.

On a run yesterday, the car felt the opposite way, basically it was tail happy as i applied power.
That means it's oversteering. Is this under power, off power, or both?

As much fun as this is and controllable too, why do you think its gone from one extreme to the other?
You've made a large number of changes to your car's suspension setup. You're expecting a small miracle if you think we can accurately gauge the effect of each of these mods without actually driving the thing.

Do you have a DCCD in your car BTW? If you do have you tried altering its setting? Playing with the wheel will make a huge difference to the way the car handles in all situations - under hard acceleration, off power, and under braking. If you do have a DCCD, and inadvertently changed the lock ratio between the two trackdays, this alone could explain the change in the feel of the car. With the diff fully down, a large amount of power oversteer would be expected. With the diff locked, the car would understeer, especially in tighter corners.

Im using Falken tyres on 18s that are 235 wide. I maybe suspect these are my weak link, cause dont really rate them.
Maybe, but if you're using the same tyres now as you were before the car was altered, you can rule them out as a cause of the change in handling balance.

Any advise please, got brands on the 10th.
As Les says, getting a proper geometry check at a well-regarded establishment would be the way forward. All any of us here can do is guess at what's going on.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 11/2/2003 7:55:59 PM]
Old 02 November 2003, 09:57 AM
smellyvag
Scooby Regular

Guys,

Having purchased an sti5 3-4 months ago, my 1st track day showed me how much UNDERSTEER these cars are prone to.

Since that track day, I have done the following mods:

1) Used Tein coilovers, lowering the car by around 45mm.
2) Solid drop links
3) Polyutherene bushes all round
4) Geomatry alignment, with negative camber and toe in at front
5) Added a 6 point roll cage

On a run yesterday, the car felt the opposite way, basically it was tail happy as i applied power. As much fun as this is and controllable too, why do you think its gone from one extreme to the other?

Im using Falken tyres on 18s that are 235 wide. I maybe suspect these are my weak link, cause dont really rate them.

Also i have the car 5-10mm higher at the rear.

Any advise please, got brands on the 10th...............

(Edited cause forgot about roll cage and thicko got mixed up with the over and under )

[Edited by smellyvag - 11/2/2003 10:00:07 AM]

[Edited by smellyvag - 11/2/2003 7:37:04 PM]
Old 02 November 2003, 10:14 AM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

I reckon those tyres would be a good starting point, i had them on my RA for all of 3 months, thought they were crap on the limit IMO.
I changed to Toyos and found it praticly impossible to get the back to break away in the dry unless realy provoked.
Old 02 November 2003, 03:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you might have your oversteer and understeer mixed up. Worth getting the Bumpsteer mod and a proper alignment done at Powerstation in Gloucester. It is possible that your roadholding has been reduced at the back end to make it appear that the original understeer has been removed. Best to get all four wheels to hang on as well as possible and the bump steer removal will stop bad wear on the inner edges of the front tyres.

Les
Old 02 November 2003, 05:38 PM
smellyvag
Scooby Regular

Les,

I think im correct in assuming understeer is what im now suffering and oversteer before.

i.e: it used to slide on the front end and now the back comes round.
Old 02 November 2003, 06:04 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

wrong way round mate

back coming round is oversteer
Old 02 November 2003, 07:35 PM
smellyvag
Scooby Regular

Whatever it is, something i have done has made this car tail happy. It was nothing like this when i first got it. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Old 02 November 2003, 11:23 PM
smellyvag
Scooby Regular

Thanks grease. Im going to buy a scanner tomorrow and paste a copy of my alignment results here for people to see. To be honest, im not sure its been set up correctly.

Sorry for the over, under confusion, but you all know what i meant

And you were all quick enough to point out my mistake