Notices

Please somebody settle my worrying

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2001, 01:16 PM
selim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am now the proud owner of a MY95. I have waited and saved for 3 years and have finally found what is hopefully a good quality car (and to me a dream come true!)

Maybe it is because the car is new to me and every little noise I hear is being amplified and I want everything to be just right....but when I accelerate hard(ish) between about 4-5000 revs I can hear what I can only describe as a slight rattle coming from the engine. Am I just being over paranoid or is it something that I should be concerned about?
Old 29 May 2001, 01:25 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Hmm is it like a buzzing noise, light rattle ? sounds like the heat shields on the turbo ! common problem, nothing to be worried about though ! There is a fix i think it needs some washers putting somewhere, one of the more eloquent techy bods will be able to help

Hmm, St Albans, just down the road
Old 29 May 2001, 02:57 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

Welcome!

If it is the heatshield (most probably is) then the chinking rattle should come and go as you sweep up the rev range. You should be able to get the rattle to happen at standstill, just rev the engine slowly till the rattle appears. It shouldn't be speed or acceleration related.

Hopefully a bolt is loose (easy fix) or more likely one of the fixing points has snapped. There are a few heatshields, first ones I'd check are the exhaust manifold shields - these are visible from underneath the car.

Good luck

Justin
Old 29 May 2001, 03:36 PM
selim
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, I'll have a look when I get back tonight.

Ian you say you only live down the road, can you advise me of anywhere local to st albans to take the car if I can't fix this, the nearest dealers are Enfield or Aylesbury or Milton Keynes and if it is a simple job it seems a lot of extra cost to take the car that far, but at the same time I don't want to leave my pride and joy in the hands of a garage I don't know anything about.

Any help much appreciated.

P.S. If any of you guys are local and know what you are doing (as it appears a lot of you do) I am quite prepared to pay for your services - I have more faith in fellow scooby owners.

Cheers
Old 29 May 2001, 03:39 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Lavender Hill in Enfield or Quenby in Baldock (Just up the A1 off J9 i think) are probably your closest official dealers!
Old 30 May 2001, 01:58 PM
selim
Scooby Regular

Jason,

I've checked the exhaust manifold heatshields and they seem fine, where are the others located?

Old 30 May 2001, 02:12 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

The other one(s) is by the downpipe/turbo area. Thats about the extent of my knowledge on these, hopefully the asforemetioned techy people can help you more...

JUSTIN