Splutter..

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2001, 06:39 PM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Who can tell me what's going on...

I had MY 95WRX Serviced on Friday of last week and since then I've noticed that when first starting up the car it seems to idle erratically.

I started the car today and went to pull away and it just spluttered and seemed to be misfiring and almost cut out. I stopped and let it run for a minute or two and the same thing happened again, when I give it a bit more revs it's o.k.
I noticed yesterday when I looked at the oil level and it's way to high, I'm going to drain some off.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be ?
Has something been disturbed in the engine bay ?
I've had New Plugs and Coil Packs in 3,000 miles ago and not had any problems at all until this service.

Neil
Old 11 April 2001, 01:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I believe there is a problem with over filling the engine oil..

take it back to the place that serviced it!

One of the sensors goes wrong when the oil is overfilled..

put a question in "general" and someone in the know will answer I am sure...
Old 11 April 2001, 02:18 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Neil

I would suspect the excess oil has caused the wastegate solenoid to get contaminated. I seem to remember you gave me some instructions on how to clean it out a while back, you will need to get the oil level sorted first of course or it will come back.

I spoke to one of the guys at Scoobymania last week and he told me that if the oil was up to the full mark then there was too much in it. You need to reduce it to somewhere between the two marks then it should be OK.

Mine is currently on the full level and I am still getting the odd problem, awaiting delivery of some Millers and a filter then I'll sort it out. In the meantime, the brake cleaner is in the boot !

Did them coil packs make a big difference ?

Ken
Old 11 April 2001, 05:20 PM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

I got underneath today and undone the Sump Plug, drained out a fair bit as when I checked the oil level it was 1cm past the full level. Useless tw@ts, they put 4.5 litres on the invoice and I believe that Scoobs only take 4.2 litres.

I'm gonna clean out the Solenoid in a minute and put in mad cow mode to flush any crap out of the pipes.

Ken, I installed the coil packs and never had a problems since until this overfilling of the oil. What mileage was your WRX again ?

I believe that the coil packs start to break down around 55,000 miles depending on conditions & driving. My old ones were very dark brown on the ends that you can see when you look at them from the side of the engine. The new ones were a lovely clean Ivory colour.

Are you still having a problem ?? Try and get them cleaned just as a first measure to ensure there's no cr@p built up around them.

Cheers

Neil
Old 12 April 2001, 02:22 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Neil

I removed the solenoid and give it a good cleanout in each port and squirted a load of brake cleaner down all the pipes. I never managed to locate the green wires but after this was done the car went really well. I changed the oil too and that also helped, I think the worn oil must have given off more vapours than new oil.

It has started playing up again in the last week or two but I want to change the oil again - awaiting delivery from Scoobymania, been trying to get them to send me oil and filter and octane booster for over a week with no luck though.

Car has done about 55500 miles so by your reckoning the coil packs should be on the way out. I don't seem to have any other problems except the wastegate though, when it's cleaned the car runs perfectly, well except the det which started a couple of weeks ago when I had a panel filter and HKS exhaust fitted, hence the octane booster order - will have to consider an alternative supplier if they don't deliver by tomorrow.

Hope your car gets sorted anyway, it's a pain in the neck when something needs doing to it, particularly if you just paid out to get it serviced.

Ken