Notices

Dinks in the door!!! Grrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2001, 01:23 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've had my Scoob (MY00) for just 6 months and always avoided tight car parking spaces etc etc, yet on washing her at the weekend I noticed Scoob's beautiful body now has four tiny dents (2 on each front door), I presume from inconsiderate t@ssers opening their doors onto the side of my car...grrrr :-(

I never had this problem with my last car (Honda), so are the Impreza's panels just flimsey or have I just been unlucky?
Can someone recommend a company who are able to remove these (just small dents, not creases)?

cheers

Neil

MY00 in almost mint condition ;-(
Old 26 February 2001, 01:48 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Red face

Neil

In answer to your questions yes and yes
Scooby doors do seem to be made of something only slightly thicker than paper. If you haven't already got them, get the side protection strips from your dealer - these help alot. I reckon it has saved my car on more than one occasion (although it could'nt help the one some inconsiderate g*t put into the front wing, near the indicator )

I have used Dentmaster in the past and they are pretty good. They operate a national franchise and the guys will come out to you and repair small dents. Prices are reasonable (probably around £40-60 depending on the size and location). It is worth doing a search because, as you can imagine, this is an often discussed topic.

Cheers

Chris
Old 26 February 2001, 05:18 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Commiserations, we all know how you feel

That tosser who parks across 2 spaces in Sainsbury's is me and I stand by my actions. I don't do it when car parks are nearly full, but then again I don't go near them when they are full!

The only advice I can offer is do not park next to anything that suggests kids will be getting in, also park next to a max powered thingy because at the end of the day your scoop may go missing, but at least they don't want to scratch their door....

Justin
Old 26 February 2001, 05:19 PM
BillyHeadcase
Scooby Regular

I've had dentmaster out for exactly the same reason.
Heres a tip. Always park diagonally accross 2 spaces in a car park. If anyone questions your less than orthodox method of parking, simply take the two fingers you would normally use to obscenely gesgure someone, and insert them up his nose, then guide his face closer to the already ample dents in your door.....he will be more than understanding, he may even offer to say and look after your car.
Old 26 February 2001, 05:24 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

BillyHeadcase,

How much did dentmaster cost you then?

I started parking across 2 parking spaces now. Just worried someone may think "t'sser" and key my car !!

Neil
Old 26 February 2001, 07:25 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If anyone in the Hull area has any dents that want removing I can have them done by a local firm for £20/ panel (Scoobys owners only)I normally charge £30

Scotty
Old 26 February 2001, 07:44 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Angry

Not being ageist here, but its not only kids that are the problem. I was sitting in my car once when a rover 600 draws up beside me with a combined age of about 360 yrs inside(only 4 passengers). Doors got flung open to let the shufflies out and I got a dent in back & front door.
Then to really make me mad when I got out saying things like can't you be more careful(adjectives deleted) - was given stares to wither Hulk Hogan and they walked off in silence. What can you do apart from smashing all their lights!!
Alasdair

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2001, 09:15 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

I know what you mean - two MY00's, both also 6 months old, current dent count between us about 10......

Unfortunately I have to park in Stansted Airport short term car park every day - you haven't seen inconsiderate to55er parkers until you park here.....combination of late for their flight and company cars so don't give a toss about other people's cars. One (an old Volvo) was actually parked inside the white lines of MY space when I came back one day and so close I could hardly get in my door) (bet he was surprised to see his door mirror kicked off when he returned)
Old 27 February 2001, 12:45 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Question

Has anyone a url for dentmaster or a contact number?

Thanks

Neil
Old 27 February 2001, 08:24 AM
BillyHeadcase
Scooby Regular

So do these door protector strips work. And if so, how much?
Old 27 February 2001, 01:17 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BillyHeadcase:
<B>So do these door protector strips work. And if so, how much?[/quote]

Billy
In my opinion (and apologies for contradicting you Chris) side protection strips are of very limited value. Most of the dings on our cars are way above the level of where the strips would be. 4x4's and the rear doors of four door cars are worse at causing dings because of their door shape (and like Chris I have also got a ding in the double skinned part of the wing next to the side repeater that can't be removed).

I've actually got quite adept at removing them myself (combination of watching a Dentmaster guy and practice plus having worked in a bodyshop years ago - but I do NOT recommend doing it yourself - it can end up worse if you are not careful).

Old 27 February 2001, 01:29 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Yes they work. They are £45 approx from a subaru dealer. You can fit them yourself. They can be colour coded without problems
Old 27 February 2001, 01:41 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Dave T-S is right, side protection strips only prevent limited damage and are to low to work effectively. Mt mate has some and still has had further dents appear from car parks.
The best way to avoid these is to take up 2 spaces or to be very selctive on the type of motor you park next to. Avoid parking next to 4 wheel drives, old bangers, company cars etc.
Old 27 February 2001, 10:31 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Lewegie,

I know what you are saying about taking up two parking spaces. But! You then attract the minority, "Look at that selfish Ba#~@rd!", "He loves his car lets do something to it!"

I generally go shopping and into the town centre in a £100 banger which I bought for my brother. Saves me getting wet in carparks as I don't need to park it well away from the other cars, which can be a bad thing anyway!

Scotty.

PS: I've had my MY00 1 year and not one ding in 15k ...... Yet!
Old 01 March 2001, 12:22 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lewegie:
<B>...Avoid parking next to 4 wheel drives.. [/quote]

My scoob is a 4 wheel drive. Isn't yours?
Old 01 March 2001, 08:11 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Wink

That's it Dave, I want a divorce

In fairness, they are not perfect, but I have several small scratches in the protection strips (and no corresponding dent in the doors) that would seem to suggest that they are doing some good and are worth fitting.

Chris
Old 01 March 2001, 04:35 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Scotty, have thought exaclty the same depending on where the car park is so when i do it i try not to make it tooo obvious.
As for running around in a banger, well the Mrs gets well angry when i suggest we use her car for shopping, something along the lines off 'you have bought a car that we can't bloody use' springs to mind.

Fast Bloke - Does that mean i should get a bull bar !
Old 07 March 2001, 11:53 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

That's it i am investing on some side protectors. Most cars come with them i find
it surprising that subaru did not supply them as standard.