Notices

Detecting lean mixture, knock, det, etc??

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2001, 01:07 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been offered a PPP for a MY99 car, and I want to mate this up with a HKS EVC4!

Problem is I don't want to blow up my engine!!!

What precautions can I take??

1) I don't plan on upping the boost, until I have the fuelling checked out on a rolling road!! So what boost shuld I run on the EVC?? What's the standard boost on MY99 PPP car?? 17/18psi???

2) Will using a HKS AFR (air flow regulator) help if it is running a bit lean??

2) I assume a knock link will check if the engine is knocking??

3) I've also been told that detting only happens after you engine reaches a certain temperature, so will an EGT gauge help out here?? Or is this the same as using a KnockLink??

3) Is there anyway of detecting whether the car is running lean?? I don't want to rely too heavily on a rolling road, as there may be times on the road that this may happen. Would a LambdaLink show if the car is running lean???

4) Will I get ignition timing issues, bearing in mind that I'm only going to up the boost slightly??

I know most of you will say, get a Link/UniChip/etc, but I'm getting the bits at a good price!!

Thanks in advance
Andy
Old 27 February 2001, 09:52 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Tango..

Chances are you wont get much more out of a PPP ECU by upping the boost... but you can try..

The problem with an AFR is that it isnt specific to a certain rev range...so you cant just richen up a certain area you are lean in.

If you want that sort of control, sell the PPP and buy a mappable ECU

You will need an A/F guage of some description...either Autometer, Lambdalink, Lumenation..etc...

I would also suggest a Knock Link device. Knock doesnt occur at a specific temp. The EGT should be used for checking A/F ratios.. if its too high, you are running lean, if too low, too rich (within reason).

In relation to the ignition timing, which is one of the contributing factors to det, it is hard to say, every engine is different, intake temps play an important part, what is the ign mapof the PPP ECU like ?

The only way to know for sure is set it up on the rollers with an accurate A/F meter and a set of det cans, then go out ont he road and do the same..

J.

Old 27 February 2001, 02:37 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Have I missed something Andy? U going for more power...thought U couldn't handle the stock ones?

j/k

/Jerry