Notices

Seat re-trimming question...

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2003, 10:37 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I've decided that black and grey cloth is just dull, so I'm looking at pricing up some alcantara (probably green & black) to get my seats re-trimmed.

Mother-in-law is fairly handy with a sewing machine, so I thought I'd try to persuade her to help by retiling her kitchen
What's alcantara like to work with? I expect it's quite difficult... Will start a "projects" thread when I do this.

I thought about getting a couple of front seats from a scrap yard to use as practice material... I know that glue of some form is involved somewhere in fitting the cloth. Maybe it's best to simply put a cover over the old material?

Does anyone have any templates for bits, suggestions on how to proceed, want to tell me I'm mad?

Nic, that excludes you, as you know this is only going to happen after the house has gone a bit further!!
Old 27 October 2003, 02:09 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Tend to find, so long as you use "industrial" needles as the standard "shop " ones break too easily. Depending on the seats you are covering, the bucket shape ones are more "glued" than clipped so be wary as they do take a lot of shaping and bonding if they are to look right, but yes, can be done. Sorry dont have pictures left of my revamped ones i had done some years ago.
Old 27 October 2003, 02:33 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. Had a look at my current seats, and discovered the glue on the very concave bits. Hence the reason for getting a spare seat I don't need to reuse to experiment with!!

Any idea what sort of glue is used?

Just need to come up with a design that's not considered "tarty" by Nic now