Notices

Getting through Oil and inconsistent clutch feel

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2001, 12:55 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
Ive got a MY00 with 4.5 k miles on it and hoping someone can shed some light on a couple of things .....

1. I seem to get through a bit of oil - the car was serviced at 1k and the oil was at max. (yes I checked on level ground) At 4k it seemed to have dropped to min (again checked on level ground when car is cold). I only do short journeys (10 miles or so)and rarely take her above 5k (even when warm). Is this norm?

2. The feel of the clutch is very inconsistent, often its a light as a feather, other times its quite firm, is this normal? It doesnt seem to matter what temperature the car is or how long I've been driving. Is this a known issue?

Cheers

Neil

Old 05 February 2001, 02:57 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

I am not experiencing any problems of this nature on my MY00. Ask your dealer for an opinion.

Two points worth making though is that firstly the difference between the max and min levels does not represent the total quantity of oil in the sump. Stick in half a litre and it will make a significant difference to the stated level on the stick. You probably knew this but you'll be suprised how many don't. Nevertheless it should n't use any significant amount of oil.

Secondly, taking it easy with the revs is not necessarily always the best thing for an Impreza engine and clutch. They recently re-built my engine trying to find a fault that was subsequently found to be somewhere else. During this process they showed me how, despite 17k miles, the engine was not run in. In addition to this they showed me some shocking build up of crap around the valves. Both of these were put down to the relative gentle life the car was having and the message I was given was quite clear......get ya' foot down. I am not saying go to the other extreme but I must say my car is far happier when I 'clear it's throat' on an ongoing basis. For example the hesitation that I had and many others get when cold has appeared to have gone away; lumpy tick over is virtually unnoticeable; no clutch judder or any clutch problems at all in fact.

What I have said here is not offered a cure, you should still go and see a dealer. However it is something I have learnt about how to avoid some of the niggles you can get .

Otis.
Old 05 February 2001, 05:00 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

NeilT,

I too mainly do short journeys and rarely take it above 5000 RPM (I drive like an old woman ) and as far as I am aware mine doesn't burn/lose any oil.

I have a MY00 with 8800 Miles on the clock and have the exact same problem with the clutch and it is VERY annoying. I have found that when the clutch gets firm it makes it harder to perform smooth gear changes and exagerates any clutch judder (I get that too sometimes first thing in the morning if it is cold). Strange thing is that a swift gearchange from 1st to 2nd at high revs usually fixes it for a while. I also stalled the car a few days ago when stationary in traffic (forgot it was in gear ) and afterwards the clutch felt brilliant, far lighter and smoother than I can remember for a long time!!.

If anyone knows a permenant cure I would be very interested!!
Old 05 February 2001, 06:04 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have the exact same problem with my MY00 clutch pedal feel too. Joey and I discussed it a while back when I posted on the subject.

I don't have a clue what it is

Scotty

[This message has been edited by SCOTTY (edited 05 February 2001).]
Old 05 February 2001, 07:06 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have exactly the same clutch problem with my MY98!

Nito
Old 05 February 2001, 10:51 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Wired I've got the same thing. m car goes into Lavender Hill tomorrow as its starting to use oil and the engine is a bit noisy and perfomance is a little flat.

had the thing with the clutch too whihc also creaked. Lavender Hill repalced the master cylinder, whatever that is, and problem cured .

AllanB
Old 07 February 2001, 02:10 PM
MikeW
Scooby Newbie

MY00 with 9.5Ks has always been prone to a juddery clutch in the mornings, which is bad news in a traffic queue - all the way to work. I never get it on the return jouney, which as I leave it out overnight and park in an underground carpark during the day, suggests a climatic issue. Maybe ?.

On the way home from work I endeavour to give it a "blast" to blow the cobwebs out of it, if it's all clear front, back and side, drop a cog and floor it ..... the best part of the day.

As for oil, at 3k I checked the oil and found I needed half a litre of Magnatex. But no more till the 7.5K service. Now curiously at 9K I had to put the same amount in. Funny things these Scoobys. Don't you just luv'em

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by NeilT:
<B>Hi
Ive got a MY00 with 4.5 k miles on it and hoping someone can shed some light on a couple of things .....

1. I seem to get through a bit of oil - the car was serviced at 1k and the oil was at max. (yes I checked on level ground) At 4k it seemed to have dropped to min (again checked on level ground when car is cold). I only do short journeys (10 miles or so)and rarely take her above 5k (even when warm). Is this norm?

2. The feel of the clutch is very inconsistent, often its a light as a feather, other times its quite firm, is this normal? It doesnt seem to matter what temperature the car is or how long I've been driving. Is this a known issue?

Cheers

Neil

[/quote]

Old 07 February 2001, 02:26 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Thanks for your replies guys.

I've got the car booked in for a service next week so I'll get em to check out the issues. I also find the clutch juddering in damp conditions if I dont garage her over night.

Old 07 February 2001, 07:15 PM
scooby2000
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with the oil levels
on my my99 after 25 k it happened before I got it late last year I noticed that the level was below the min mark being
mechanically minded means there's something wrong here off I trot to the dealers who after booking in to replace the turbo because oil was found behind it (exhaust side) so with that done. I tested it for 500 miles but it was still loosing oil next step was to take the engine out and see if anything there low and behold they found piston rings broken up and scoring the bore hence new short motor installed and I am running it in.
The oil level seem be steady at half way, I guess this is normal??

only another 400 miles or so to go