Notices

Anyone got a Legacy Turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2000, 02:06 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine has got his hands on a 1993 Legacy Turbo. What can be done to said car in terms of tuning, is it similar to the early Imprezas??

What are the differences between it and a similar year Impreza??

Has anyone got any good info and webbies for him??

Id say hell be along to the BBS soon, but in the meantime.........

Thanks

Rich
Old 16 December 2000, 10:28 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I had one of these at the start of the year before getting my Impreza. Engine is very similar but less powerful at around 197bhp. Less tuning stuff around but still able to get basic stuff like exhuasts and air filters. Try the normal tuners such as Scoobysport , Scoobymania, Graham Goode etc. The Legacy is a massively underrated car and gives about the best bangs for the buck. Car is pretty heavy and the brakes are the first thing I would consider upgrading as they are less powerful the the Impreza brakes and with that extra weight to haul around, can't always coping if pressing on.

Get him to join the SIDC.

AllanB
Old 17 December 2000, 11:24 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Richie,

Go to the MRT site
Old 18 December 2000, 01:07 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AllanB:
[B]I've got a legacy turbo saloon, a 94'k. It was the best value car I have over brought (£3k! 145mph 0-60 6.9sec Not bad!) I would agree the brakes are not the best, but I fitted new std disc's allround (from Partco!), Mintex pads and changed the brake fluid. What a difference a bit of maintanence does!
I've also replaced the rear shock inserts with gas ones and overall the car handles a lot better.
Alex
Old 18 December 2000, 09:11 PM
Ian834
Scooby Newbie

I have a late MY92 and am looking to give it a new lease of life. Having been in contact with Scoobysport, they tell me that they can offer much for the Legacy.

Ian
Old 19 December 2000, 09:13 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Indeed we can Ian.

I agree that the Legacy is an underated car and it would be my chosen steed for high mileage motorway use. We have several B4 customers and these things are both luxurious and seriously quick. No wonder they are the chosen car of Subaru UK Directors.

The early single turbo cars were officially imported into the UK, but when the engine was uprated the twin turbo, they were dropped for normally aspirated units. The engine management and boost control system on the twin turbos is the work of a genius/madman

Exhaust, brake and suspension mods are even more effective on Legacies, as the standard items are lower grade than the stock Impreza stuff.

We have even transplanted STi engines early single turbo Legacies. "Whoosh" has a new definition
Old 19 December 2000, 06:50 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Pete,

So the Directors of Subaru UK drive Legacy B4s (a model which isn't available in UK form), but the same people insist that the UK dealers don't service grey imports? Some double standards here, I think.

Brian
Legacy RS
[waiting for Subaru UK to agree to service cars like mine .... but not holding my breath]
Old 19 December 2000, 10:41 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Very annoying to see at the motorshow a lovely B4 RSK registered to Subaru UK. I would have had one myself if these were officially supported

AllanB
Old 20 December 2000, 09:28 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Brian and Allan

Some of the fleet were recently sold. They didn't have time for a valet before they were sold on.

There were strong rumours that a UK version of the B4 would be available in the UK.

It would be a serious rival for BMW, Merc and Jag. Stunning car to drive.

Old 20 December 2000, 04:35 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

My local dealer missed out on the B4 by two minutes...

There is one B4 around that has a full warranty.

The dealer did get a Prodrive P1 development vehicle - Imagine the surprise when I found a 2 door STI in the corner! 26k gets you a P1 with centre diff control with 3 year warranty... Tempting...
Old 21 December 2000, 12:02 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

I agree with Pete, I went to look at a B4 RSK and it was very german like in build quality. I dont know why they didnt work the same magic on the impreza... cost maybe?? Im getting one in the new year mainly due to more space needed (planning second kid ) and I really dont want to stray from the scoob badge. If u se one in a showroom, see for yourself. Pete...umm what mods do u do for them by the way????
Stu