Notices

Boost Guage fitment??

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2000, 07:16 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have purchased a second hand (boxed) boost guage and was wondering if any of you very friendly local scooby owners that have fitted your own can advise/assist in the install.

It fits the A pillar, I have (I think) all the bits, So any advice or if anyone in the Dartford area/south east ldn/Kent and doesn't mind me popping around for an hour one evening so they can either help fit or tell me if I have the right bits and point me in the right direction.

Im willing to by a few pints its just that w/e's are out of the question and i can't get any time off work as I've only been there a week so getting to Scooby Sport is out of the question and my local main dealer isn't very STI friendly.

Realy want it on the car ASAP, so any help physical or not will be welcomed.

...Ian
Old 23 August 2000, 10:43 AM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't help directly, but I advise you to recheck your parts and make some investigations first:

1) Where are you going to 'sample' the vaucuum from? Best place is the spare tube on the manifold, but I understand that this wasn't present on earlier models. Otherwise you can splice into one of the existing pipes (more care needed) but you'll need a T-piece.

2) Where are you going to feed the vacuum pipe through the bulkhead? Best place is the exisiting grommet next to the brake pipes, high in the bay.

3) Length and bore of vacuum pipe. Measure the distance and add a bit for contingency.

4) Fixings - you'll want all your mods to be secure so make sure you have enough tie-wraps.

5) Securing the guage - are you going to screw down or use sticky pads?

6) Illumination - if the guage has a back-light you'll need to find power. Check where you're going to wire to. You can wire to the ACC connection (illumination always on) or tap into the lights if you only want it illuminated at night. Either way you'll need the necessary electrical fittings.

As long as you're properly prepared first, fitting a boost guage is not a difficult job.

Cheers.