Notices

Colour Match Problem

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2000, 12:59 AM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had my skirts etc. colour coded I took the car to a proper paint shop to match the colour, and there were three different colours for my paint code.

I guess these must relate to various production runs as they can't always get a 100% match with the paint. My car is a Terzo, which is the same code as the 22B & P1 and has never been available as a standard colour in the Uk, so I guess for a more common colour there maybe even more colours to that one paint code.

SimonM
Old 21 August 2000, 10:56 AM
Mark Brown
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi
I am looking for help and advice. I have a 95WRX in dark blue metalic. I think it is the same colour that the McRae Edition came in. I put it into the local sprayer who has completed many jobs to a very high standard for me and my family in the past. I wanted my skirts painted and a front lip spoiler put on and painted.

When I picked up the car on Saturday I was very dissappointed, not with the standard of the job but the colour match. The paint code for the car is 416 but the new paint is slightly lighter.

The question is:
-has any body had any problems in the past matching this colour?
-What is the colour code for a McRae edition?
-Is there one colour code and maybe different shades?
-Will different suppliers be slighly different shades of the same paint code?

My sprayer will re-do the job if I can get more information about paint and colour match.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Mark

Old 21 August 2000, 01:41 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Question

How "clean" is your car?
A gradual build up of grime may make it look slightly darker? (good HD cleanse and wax would cure this)

I know that some paint companies produce a few shades for a paint code to take account of sun bleaching etc that happens over time, it may be that they have guessed on one of these? (had a dark blue vauxhall, and had to try about 5 paint cos until 1 matched properly!! the bloke who matched it properly insisted on seeing the car to be able to 100% match the paint)

robski
Old 21 August 2000, 01:54 PM
Mark Brown
Scooby Regular

We tried to machine polish part of a panel but it did not make much difference. The paint work I think is very clean have had it proffessionally polished not too long ago. There does not seem to much build of dirt/grime on it.

-Has anyone had any experiences of different shades of paint code 416??

Mark
Old 22 August 2000, 07:01 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

I also have wrx in 416 dark blue, the proper name is subaru cosmic blue pearlesant, I painted my own side skirts, standox paint, I think the problem is down to how many coats of base coat your sprayer is using and on what undercoat, he should use a black undercoat, not grey, white or yellow and three coats of colour with five of laquer at the very least.