Notices

Power Steering prob?

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2000, 11:27 PM
Kenny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Anybody come across a problem like this (not had power steering before so not sure of the symptons when it goes wrong).

Driving along a fast A road, no probs, then slowed for a village, turned in for some sharp (2nd gear) bends and the steering not only feels heavier but has what can best be described as a flat spot in the straight-ahead position, turn the wheel for the corner and then have to give a real yank to straighten up again. Felt a bit like it was tramlining.

Finished the journey like this but very un-nerving. Sometimes it felt ok (~ish) other times as described.

Checked the fluid levels - seem ok and no obvious leaks, the belt's still attached ok.

Only other thing I wondered was maybe the fluid needs changing (50k miles) though it's not mentioned as a service item in the FAQ?

Does this sound like a familar pas fault?
Worryingly my warranty doesn't mention PAS at all - guess I'll find out in the week.

Just when I'm trying to sell the damn thing too

Ken

[This message has been edited by Kenny (edited 02-01-2000).]
Old 03 January 2000, 11:17 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Check your tyre pressures, the skooby is the worst car i have ever driven for tramlining, and is very succeptable to tyre pressure levels.

If tyre pressures are all OK then get the geometry checked at a skooby dealership, have you hit a kerb or pot hole recently?
Old 03 January 2000, 03:42 PM
Kenny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,

Thanks for the reply, but it a bit more serious than normal tramlining. I'm convinced it's the PAS thats at fault, I was just wondering (hoping) that there might have a been a common problem on Scoobies with say, the relief valve. Not looking forward to having to shell out for a new PAS.

Ken