Notices

Bonnet Vents

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 1999, 11:32 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to fit the new MY97 mesh type vents into the older bonnets? (mines an MY93 WRX).

Also are the 22b vents compatible and where can I buy them?

Thanks in advance, Richie Coulson
Silver MY93 WRX
Old 24 October 1999, 09:32 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Angry

To my knowledge it is not possible. I am fitting a whole replacement bonnet on my car and in th process have been forced to buy a new grille, headlights and scoop.

Sorry to bring bad news but if you know where I can get some new style vents from, please let me know.

Adam
Old 02 November 1999, 08:38 AM
Subaru doctor
Scooby Newbie

No it is not,well not without making a mess.
Old 02 November 1999, 10:03 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I am having some small scoops made in the same style as the intercooler scoop made to fit the dummy vent holes for my MY94 WRX (to feed the induction kit) They would fit your bonnet as well. I will post some pictures when they are finished (should be in the next couple of weeks) if you are interested.
Old 02 November 1999, 10:19 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Stuart Knight, (Hi!),

How are you going to stop the scoop feeding rainwater to your induction kit? I have, on my last car, removed the blanking plates to aid cooling. To do this I had to make up a plastic device to deflect any rain/splash water away from the induction element.

MRT performance in Oz do an alloy vent-scoop similar to what you describe, I suppose I could mail them to ask how they deal with the water induction problem.

Moray
Old 03 November 1999, 12:39 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Stuart,

Good Luck. Let me know how you get on. I am still thinking about a better way to open the vents up for cooling without drowning the engine/induction. I reckon the older style bonnet vents would probably have done a better cooling job based on the "slanted slat" style. I also reckon that if I can figure out a way to safely divert rain/splash away from the vital organs the cars forward motion should cause a suction effect which will pull hot air up and out to be replaced be cool air from below/in front.

Tests on my previous WRX indicated that there was an improvement in under-bonnet temperatures when the blanking plates are removed. One of the major benifits is the reduction in heat-soak when in slow-moving/stopped traffic, especially in summer when you can actually see the convection currents rising from the bonnet vents.

I prefer the extraction method to the scoop method as you are not forcing air and foreign objects (grit etc) into the car, you are instead enabling (carefully, using water guards) a facility that Subaru supplied (unused) in the car from new.

Moray

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 03-11-1999).]
Old 03 November 1999, 08:35 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Moray,

I intend to have a lip across the back underside of the scoop which will be drilled and a pipe will attach to let any water drain down beneath the engine. Well thats the initial idea anyway, I'll see how it works in practice, shouldn't have to wait too long for some rain!! If I fit the matching one for the n/s I'll leave the standard blanking plate on except for track days.

Stuart
Old 04 November 1999, 11:52 AM
Benny Boy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

There is no need to fit a scoop for the induction kit. The air in that part of the engine bay is cool enough. Indeed you may well disrupt the airflow to an extent where having the extra scoop will inhibit the performance of the induction kit.

Moray, you might want to look at the issue from a different angle ie if the goal is to lower intake temperature, increasing ventilation is not necessarily the most efficient way.

Ben
Old 25 November 1999, 04:18 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Moray,

other than buying Benny Boys suitcase sized intercooler as witnessed last night - how are you getting on without the blanking plates.

I have removed mine today - and then found this thread - ner - my induction kit intake is well away from the bonnet hole itself.

Bottom line - do you think it improves the delivery of cool air - or what?

David
Old 25 November 1999, 04:35 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I think MRT in Oz do the 22B style bonnent vents.

Andy
Old 25 November 1999, 05:23 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Rannoch,

Hello again!

As I stated above, I did this testing with my last car. I have not got around to fashioning a suitable water deflector for my current car, so I am presently leaving the blanking panels on. The main advantage of opening them up was to be had in the summer, when heat soak could build up in stop-start town driving.

I do like the look of that Intercooler though... but I only have a humble sti 3, so it wouldn't fit. (I bet Benny's got one that would fit...)

Moray
(who should be shot for scaring that poor defenceless evo vi )
Old 25 November 1999, 05:38 PM
Benny Boy
Scooby Regular

Moray

Of course it will fit, it fits all Imprezas!!!! Doesn't look like it would though does it?

Ben
Old 25 November 1999, 06:29 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Ben,

I assume you have to supply replacement intercooler hoses and maybe a B-O-V to mate it to the car?

Moray