Notices

STI V oil change ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 1999, 08:14 PM
Mcall
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a few weeks ago a new STI V from a grey importer . I've read in the SIDC faq that the UK subarus have "running in" oil that is changed to the normal oil when the car hits the magic 1000 miles . What my grey importer was unable to tell me was whether STI V's have this thinner oil too that needs to be changed when 1000 miles is reached . Can anybody shed any light ?
Old 03 July 1999, 10:06 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Mcall
I would change the oil and filter whatever is used also check the gearbox oil. I bought a STI V about 4 weeks ago it was used 6500 miles but the gearbox oil was very low.
Cheers
Saj
Old 05 July 1999, 01:20 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

I spoke to Dave Morgan at Sti imports where I bought my STI5 from.

Apparently the oil is just as thin and needs replacing after 1400 miles (don't exactly know were that comes from - must be a warranty condition).

This is a bit of a bummer as your not (under any cirumstances) supposed to take the rev counter over 4000 revs to avoid damaging the engine (due to having running in thin oil).

They don't do much on this service, but I bet you get charged at least £100 for it - a bit of a rip=off!
Old 22 July 1999, 08:32 PM
vanya gant
Scooby Regular

Smile

replaced my oil at about 1000 miles on my MY99 STI V, and pootled about for about 1500 miles because I felt the engine/box was tight.
I've been told mine is "one of the fast ones".

On a trial number of one, causation is not proven. but there are some slow scoobs out there, and I wonder whether I helped my car along to its present fast status.

when the oil came out it was pretty sooty.

just change the oil QUICK and then only the driving skill is to blame (I know, I'm crap; but I know it ain't the car!)
Old 22 July 1999, 09:14 PM
clivekay
Scooby Regular

Got my STi 5 a week ago and was told then by the importer to bring it back at 1000 miles to chnage the Engine oil for Mobil 1 and also to change the gearbox oil....
Old 23 July 1999, 08:18 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've been told that Mobil 1 (fully synthetic) should only be used after 7500 miles, until then it is wise to use semi-synthetic. Not sure why.

On the subject of oil, I had a letter from my dealer today......

"It has come to our notice hath some gearboxes in STi V's are experiencing difficulty in the operation of 5th gear syncromesh. We trust that we have now rectified the cause of the problem by the use of an alternative gearbox oil than that used originally from Subaru Japan.

The oil we recommend is a Subaru UK part No SACC 3188."

How can gearbox oil cause such a problem? I've got the Silktran(? or something) that Pete recommends, fully synthetic blah blah blah. Should this be OK?

Anyone else heard of this problem?