Notices

Windscreen wipers not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 1999, 08:55 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Well they are, in that they move backwards and forwards as required but they're not clearing the water away properly and leaving water + streaks on the screen. It's in for service next week but do I need to ask them to replace the wiper blades or is there some kind of tension / pressure screw I can adjust to make them fit more firmly on the screen.

thanks

Andy
Old 16 July 1999, 09:23 AM
stan
Scooby Regular

It could be that your windscreen is dirty or has some oil deposits on it. Give it a good clean and then put some RainX on it. It makes a lot of difference.
Old 16 July 1999, 10:14 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Nope, fraid not. It's a new windscreen ! (big 6" crack in the previous one but don't get me started on that saga!). No it's been cleaned in the carwash last night, followed by some hefty scrubbing with Autoglym glass cleaner. I was going to wait to put the RainX on but it's very bad still. The water's just not being cleared off the glass. I guess it's new blades time - any idea how much they cost (from the dealer)?

cheers

Andy
Old 16 July 1999, 01:00 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

You could try cleaning the wiper blades. I occasionally drag some slightly damp newspaper along the length of the blade rubber a few times. This pulls all sorts of rubbish from the blade (and seems to 'sharpen' them as well). Try degreasing your windscreen and cleaning the wiper blades, it may work.

Moray
Old 16 July 1999, 02:28 PM
RBT
Scooby Regular

Autoglym do a wonderful windscreen cleaning bottle of stuff. Good for wipers too. I swear by it, because it's the only thing I've found guaranteed to clear grease off the windscreen.

Failing that, a dash of vinegar on an old newspaper always makes windows come up pretty well.

Ross.
Old 16 July 1999, 10:22 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

RainX. EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

See previous posts regarding sticking this stuff on your windscreen! I use it on side windows but NEVER AGAIN on the windscreen.
Old 18 July 1999, 06:15 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>Andy
So Carwashes actually *clean* cars do they???
Old 19 July 1999, 10:31 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Mine's come up lurverly. Nice and shiney, with no swirls. The only thing I've never managed to get a car/jet wash to do properly is the wheels. I've got a steam cleaner at home but I've not tried it yet. It is a bit scarey sitting there whilst the dryer manoevers itself over your scoop and rear wing !

I do find I have to clean the front windscreen myself. And yes I have used rainex (well this stuff like rainex) and I was well impressed. This stuff is "3rd generation" so may be better than people experiances in the past.

cheers

Andy

cheers

Andy