Notices

Mobil 1 Oil Prices

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 1999, 12:44 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've spent a bit of time looking at the various oils available.

The best, by far, seems to be Silkolene Pro S.

This is a 10W/50 fully synthetic, but uses a different polymer to Mobil 1. Mobil 1 uses Poly Alpha Olifins. Castrol Magnatec uses Ester polymer, which is static sensitive and this is what makes it stick to the internals of the engine.

Magnatec contains 40% Ester, Silkolene Pro S is 100% Ester.

All engines develop negative and positive charges within them, notably pistons, bores and bearing shells. Ester polymers are very static sensitive and cling to these faintly charged parts.

In their tests, Silkolene found that all lubricated parts will still have a film of oil 50 microns thick, after an engine has stood for 6 weeks.

100% Ester is the only spec accepted by the CAA and RAF for aircraft engine lubricant and Silkolene supply BAA and the MOD with their aircraft lubricants, hence the concorde logo.

Pro S is cheaper than Mobil 1 and is accepted by Subaru UK.
Old 21 June 1999, 04:47 AM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

I am trying to find the Cheapest place for Mobil 1 Motorsport oil. The cheapest place I have found so far is Halfords at £29.99 for 4 litres or £9.99 for a 1 litre top up does anyone know of anywhere cheaper. The reason that I am asking is that I might be able to get the oil cheaper through a contact and if it can be bought at a cheaper price would anyone else be interested in some as the more I get then the better the discount that I will be able to get on the oil so the cheaper it would be.
Old 21 June 1999, 10:21 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

My friend owns a local garage and I took the liberty of ordering some for him direct from a wholesale oil supplier, made sure I was there when the delivery came and paid cash for it. Worked out at £3.75 per litre approx.

Not sure if you are in a position to pull a similar stunt, (sorry that should read in a position to engineer a similar purchase process).

Any problems if people want sufficient quantities I will order some oil if people pay me in advance and bring it to the next Donington track day.

Open to other suggestions.

Mike.

Mike.
Old 21 June 1999, 01:13 PM
JohnS

Pete,

any ideas on how much the Silkolene costs, and whether club members could get together (through the club), and arrange a bulk purchase (with suitable discount of course ). I haven't seen any Silkolene products at any of the local accessory shops around here, only the Mobil 1 motorsport formulation at £29.99, Castrol RS (same price), and Castrol Magantec (a bit cheaper).
Old 21 June 1999, 02:00 PM
tel
Scooby Regular

Darren,

I always buy my 4 litres of Mobil 1 in France in the Hypermarkets at 160FF this equates to about £16.00 at todays rates. So have a day trip to France save money on the booze, **** and oil. Do you ever get the feeling we are being ripped off big time in this country.
Old 21 June 1999, 05:26 PM
aziz
Scooby Regular

HELLO

A question to tell:

What is the viscosity SAE of the Mobil -1
which you purchase from France ?

And are using it in your impreza?

If so what type and model year car do you own?

THANK YOU
Old 21 June 1999, 05:27 PM
aziz
Scooby Regular

HELLO

A question to tell:

What is the viscosity SAE of the Mobil -1
which you purchase from France ?

And are using it in your impreza?

If so what type and model year car do you own?

THANK YOU
Old 21 June 1999, 10:34 PM
S.Mather
Scooby Newbie

If anyone is seriously interested in the Silkolene Pro S, I can get a price and minimum delivery directly from Silkolene as I deal with them occassionaly and the main factory at Belper is only 10 miles down the road from me. I would be happy to give them a ring and find out any technical information anyone needs.
Normally the smallest quantity from memory is 25 gallons (I think).
Old 21 June 1999, 10:52 PM
DavieR
Scooby Regular

JohnS,
Silkolene products are recommended for Kawasaki motorbikes. So any of these dealerships will sell the various oils. If you know anyone in that line of business, its another option.
Old 21 June 1999, 11:13 PM
tel
Scooby Regular

Aziz,

It is 10W-40 and I use it in my STI V but only for any topping up I let the servicing dealer do the changes.
Old 22 June 1999, 03:20 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

John

Pro S is £28.99/4L
Old 23 June 1999, 08:10 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there any problem with mixing synthetic and semi-synthetic or standard oil? I don't see why there should be apart form not getting all the advantages of the fully synthetic oil !

Mick
Old 24 June 1999, 04:14 AM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

Mixing oils of different types such as Synthetic and non synthetic is not to be reccommended as this can cause problems. I would personally not even mix oils of different brands as can be seen from the comments above they could be made from completely different chemicals that could have an adverse reaction to each other.

Darren
Old 25 June 1999, 10:46 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Has anybody thought of trying 'Comma Synergie' oil it is a 5/40 J spec fully synthetic oil and is the sames oil as Esso Ultron (Esso own Comma but do not advertise it)but Comma is £20 for five litres, Esso is £30-£40 for four litres!
I am using it in my current cars(scooby & rover V8)and also my previous car(BMW 325)
with no problems at all and with it being cheaper that other oils i change it a lot more often to keep it as clean as possible.
In reply to Darren it does not matter at all to mix any grade, type, or make of oil all you are doing is dilluting the quality of the origional oil for better or for worse, they most probably came out of the same oil well before they were refined or put under the lab microscope!And will mix quite happily.
As for Magnatec you are better off using a better 'fully synthetic' oil as it is, contrary to popular belief it is only a 'semi'.(Fs oil amoung other things withstands the heat of turbo cars a lot better and will not brake down.)
Anyway ill stop rambling, i just thought i would put in my two pennys worth in
...JAMES.
P.S.Graham Goodes own brand 5/40 fs oil is also synergie/ultron.
..Ill go now!
Old 26 June 1999, 03:21 AM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

James

I would be very concerned about mixin different brands of fully synthetic oil because they dotn just come out of the well!

As for mixing Mineral oils then yes you can but you have said it exactly you reduce it quality so you might as well not be putting in a better quality oil in the first place!

Darren
Old 26 June 1999, 08:27 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Darren.

Sorry, i didnt mean the oil just comes straight out of the well,but that all the synthetic or otherwise oils start of life as the same thing.
It is a comon misconception that synthetic oils are 'man made', but this not the case the synthetic side of oil has been messed around with in a lab and had its molecular structure altered to be more slippy, heat resistant etc etc.
The amount of aditives used by diferent companys and the different sae specs tend be the only differnces between the top oil manufacturers/refiners,this was the point i was 'trying' to make.
Cheers...JAMES