Notices

Knocking Exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 1999, 12:31 AM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this problem - went back to Pete's and the nice men from hayward and Scott got it all fixed in about 5 mins.
Old 18 June 1999, 12:40 AM
Adam
Scooby Regular

Our Scoobysport exhaust does this too. It's on uneven roads, bumps etc. and is worse the more load in the back. It was OK until we got the LEDA suspension, when it was really terrible, with the exhaust banging the rear diff. H&S modified it (and charged me for the modification, which I thought was a bit off since presumably it should've fitted in the first place). It was then OK for a while but soon started again, presumably the lowering has reduced clearances somewhere.

On the many occasions the car's been back to Scoobysport since then, I've asked Pete to fix it. Unfortunately it hasn't been done yet.

A.
Old 18 June 1999, 08:30 AM
Shaggy
Scooby Regular

I've currently got a very annoying metal on metal noise coming from under my MY98.

I've recently replaced the standard exhaust with a ScoobySports back box - and thats when the noise started......

Its fine when its cold - no noises at all, but then as it warms up you get a metal on metal sound from under the rear nearside of the car - and it gets more frequent as things get warmer - teh noise occurs when going over uneven roads/bump/manhole covers!!

I've taken a look - and to an unexperienced eye it looks like the new exhaust is hitting the rear drive shaft - its the same noise!!

Here's my theory - I think that the 3 rubber bungs supporting the exhaust may go slack and at bit more elastic when hot, so play more and the exhaust bounces up and down more!! or I need to do something with the 3 rods on the exhaust and bend them out/down or whatever.

Anyone had this problem before? and I on the right track?
Old 18 June 1999, 11:31 AM
Seraph
Scooby Regular

Shaggy

I had this exact problem with my XR2 Turbo before. You are right, my problem was result of the rubber bungs, which in my case, got unhinged.

The exhault was also slightly mounted too high up.

Sounds like you have definately nailed down the problem.