Scooby Sport Downpipe and Subaru UK...Pete Please comment

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 1999, 09:05 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter C.

this is really a question for you...

I phone my Subaru Dealer today to enquire about warranties and downpipes/de-cat pipes...I already have the back box...I just want to complete the set

They said they would fit the part...but it would void my exhaust warranty...they checked again with subaru UK who said it would void my ENGINE warranty...how crazy is that !

They basically described the following :

<I>We've had some holded pistons sent back to Japan to be looked at....It
appears that the downpipe (any downpipe...not scoobysport specifically)
causes some internal stress on the engine which causes the edges of the
pistons to become mis-shapped and hole...if not collapse</I>

If any Subaru UK people read posts on this site could you please give an official statement regarding downpipes and warranties...thankyou

How can this be...do any of you have experience of this...STI owners aside who have problems with Octane rating less than 98RON in the UK. Subaru UK did not say these pistons came from an STI...so I'll assume they were std. UK spec parts.

Peter could you pass technical comment...along with the expected performance gains i.e. free reving...noisy...bhp...gas flowed...I love it already (your site doesn't cover your downpipe - you should update it.)

I am concerned about the above comment..How can this be...the pipe is behind turbo... I can only think that it clears the exhaust gases more efficiently which means the engine can consume and ignite fuel with more vigor... I wait to be corrected - I'm no engine buff.

TIA

Ian.
Old 03 June 1999, 09:29 PM
JohnS

Pete C is on holiday for another few days

My understanding was that fitting the downpipe would invalidate your engine warranty. Sorry can't be of any more help.
Old 03 June 1999, 10:54 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Pete I believe has only been letting UK owners have the downpipe over the last couple of months. I'm sure he would stop letting people have the product if there was a risk. I have heard of some UK engines with the problems you describe but it has been put down to a superchip. The only other supplier I know of that has been supplying them long enough is HKS I think

I believe it would invalidate your warranty also.

Jonathan
Old 04 June 1999, 11:14 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I received the advice on whether or not to fit the D/P was down to me on my MY97 UK spec. I chose to fit it and it is now awesome.
Old 04 June 1999, 08:30 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

thanks folks...

I suspected a chip may have been involved...

HowardB and others have down pipes and no problems so I can't imagine pete would sell something that lead to physical engine damage...pete loves the whole subaru thing too much for that.

And webmaster....how well does your MY97 go...its the car I shall be installing on (Already have SS back box, Filter panel, slightly improved brakes (Mintex fast road stuff) and most importantly a clean wastegate selanoid

Regards...and thanks again

Ian

I'll wait for peters return.
Old 07 June 1999, 06:34 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian

Back from my hols

We developed the downpipe specifically to help the upper rev breathing of 22B's. It is staggeringly effective and having since had some WRC cars into the workshop, it was interesting to see that they use virtually identical technology.

Because it removes the cat, we only sell it as a "competition part" and if the owner wants to fit it to his road car, then that is his decision. 3 cars have so far been MOT'd with it fitted and all have passed. One was very close, but this car was a well used 90k mile 93 WRX.

Although it also works very well on STi's, I didn't expect it to have much effect on smaller turbo'd UK cars. I was wrong. The effect is not as great, but still very noticeable. Off boost, there is no difference, but maximum boost is acheived sooner and held for longer. Mid range punch is grin inducing and the rev limiter will feel too low.

I made a bet with an STi4 owner, who had an HKS downpipe, that ours would be better. He took me up on the bet and gained 10bhp and 17lb torque over his best with the HKS downpipe.

No customers of this part have holed pistons or otherwise. It has been bought by the customers that want every bit of power they can get and will use every bit that they have bought. It is used in anger, for long track sessions, extended Nurburgring sessions etc, by owners of STi5's. These cars have the weakest pistons of any Impreza.

That said, with regard to stressing components and warranties, IT IS NOT AN APPROVED PART. It does improve power delivery and Subaru UK could refuse to pay for an engine or drive train warranty claim, if this part is fitted. As the buyer, you must make up your own mind.
Old 08 June 1999, 08:12 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Cheers Pete,

You've answered my questions... I accept the warranty issue is my own cause for concern...the fact most cars pass emissions tests with it on is superb.

I guess I'll accept that responsibility and take the plunge....expect a phone call.

ps: I found out from Donnington they are running two more track days at donnington...26 June and another in August. We should put in a Showing again....Donnington is always such a fun day..my family love it...

Fun for all but the poor guy in the 512TR who blew his engine