Notices

knocking noise + backfire

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 1999, 08:06 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok chaps, something to get your teath into, I've got a couple of questions regarding knocks and bangs coming from the car.

The first one is to do with the scoobysport downpipe. With all the nice weather we've been having recently, I've been taking full advantage and driving with all the windows down enjoying the engine/exhaust noise from the SS backbox and downpipe . However, when changing from 3rd to 2nd, or 4th to 3rd etc, I hear a soft popping noise coming from the exhaust, gets louder the more revs you change into, what's all this about then? (Pete, any ideas?)I presume it's normal, the car still goes like stink.

Second, and more importantly, I had all my tyres changed about 1500 miles ago (all four wheels off the ground etc etc, whilst they were changed), ever since I have had a knocking noise coming from what sounds like the front right hand side of the car every time the load changes between sides, i.e. going round corners or over sharp bumps. This knock can vary in frequency and loudnes but remains very persistant (it's always just one sharp knock, it doesn't rattle). I've started to wonder if it is something to do with the suspension not being seated properly (I had the Geometry re-set to the correct settings after the tyres were changed, it was way out). I've had the car up on the jack to have a look, shook the wheel and stuff, but I don't really know what I'm looking at / for.

At about the same time I had the car into the dealers to fix a dodgy indicator stick and to eliminate the infamous driver door rattle near the side mirror which they did quite successfully, I thought at first that they hadn't put things back together properly, but I ve had the trim off under the steering wheel to have a look for loose bits but all seems fine, when cleaning the car I have given the door a good shake and no rattles there.

My car is a MY98, Standard Suspension (although hopefully not for long) hope you can help.

Yours, very frustrated

Dave.

[This message has been edited by david (edited 19-05-99).]
Old 19 May 1999, 08:37 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

I know it might not be relevant but I get the knock in our FTO when accelerating fairly hard, especially when turning (if you thought the scooby modified suspension was hard you ain't been jarred by nothing !). It's a single knock and happens in either direction. I asked our dealers mechanic and he's suggested it's to do with the anti-roll bars. There's been similar discussion on the FTO list (sorry about this !) about similar single knocks to be suspension bushs problems as well.

Just thought you'd be interested to know.

Cheers

Andy
Old 19 May 1999, 07:47 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave

The popping sound is unburnt fuel burning in the exhaust manifold. It happens on all Impreza's, but the cat and OE silencer are very good at killing the sound. If you drive a totally standard car, with a hot exhaust system, you can just hear the bangs on over run.

The banging from the suspension sounds like a bush has come loose from the anti-roll bar. The bushes can be held better by putting a large cable tie around the housing. The bush can then never escape. The aftermarket bushes that I have seen are not located as well as the Subaru ones and come out even more easily. This trick works with them too.

Pete
Old 20 May 1999, 08:08 AM
david
Scooby Regular

sensible answers only please

where do I need to look to find the bush !?
Old 20 May 1999, 06:12 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

I also hear a sound (I think from the suspension) when changing hard especially from 1st to 2nd. It is like a thump, like the suspension reaches its end. Maybe it is from the drivetrain, I can't be sure. This subject has been covered previously into another thread.
Are you experiencing same type of sound?