ECU bug on early MYs

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 1999, 02:22 PM
TonyC
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FAQ says

"3.10 ECU bug :-)

In a low gear at high boost, such as pulling on to a roundabout in 1st or overtaking in 3rd, even a tiny reduction
in throttle results in a sudden jerk, far worse than you'd expect from totally releasing the throttle, and enough in
some cars to cause the inertia-seatbelts to activate. You'd expect the dump valve to open and to get smooth
deceleration from engine braking, but instead you have to be very gentle with the pedal.

Apparently it's better on 1997/8 cars, but still present to an extent."

Is there ANY known cure for this, it's nearly tried to kill me 2 or 3 times in the last 2 months since I've had my MY95. Would a chip change cure this? In my opinion, if you push on a bit, (I intend to use mine for occasional road rallies in standard car class) this could literally be potentially fatal. The last time it happenned I was accelerating flat in third, went over a crest/bump, and the resulting jolt caused my foot to lift just enough off the throttle that the engine backed off, and the back end stepped (leapt!!) out of line and I nearly took a drystone wall out, very scary.

Any advice.

I hasten to add that I only normally drive in this fashion in the middle of the night on properly organised and sanctioned rallies, I am not a bit of a boy racer (I'm 46)

Tony C