Notices

Problems, Problems ...

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 1999, 01:00 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a bit of a perfectionist here, but I was wondering how to solve these problems. Its (MY98) going in to Bell & Colvill the week after next - but was wondering if there was an easy fix in the meantime.

1) When the wipers on full speed they make a knocking noise whenever they're at the end of their sweep (ie, they're horizontal again)

2) I have a rattle coming from the middle of the dash - only heard when going over bumps. It kind of sounds like one of those plastic ***** with a bell in to that you give to the cat to play with ... well I though it was a good description. Anyway its bloody annoying.

3) Wind noise, coming from the leading edge of the passenger and drivers windows. Stops if you push the rubber seal against the window, just where the glass enters that rubber sleave.

4) Clunky gear changes - probably not an easy fix, so I'll let B&C solve that one.

Any ideas

Regards
James
Old 14 May 1999, 07:27 AM
david
Scooby Regular

In answer to number 2. Try removing your stereo and re fitting. I had this problem (MY98), it was the stereo squeaking in it's mounting. It was solved by sliding the stereo out (you need the special keys) and sliding back in again, but not all the way ( you can't tell it's not in all the way).

If you want to check that this is the problem before removing the stereo, press firmly on the unit whilst driving, the noise should go away.

Hope this helps.

Squeeks and rattles abound in my car, this is the most dissapointing thing about the scooby as far as I'm concerned. I want to fit the leda A suspension but fear this will only make things worse !!
Old 14 May 1999, 09:41 AM
AndyG
Scooby Regular

Number 3), good luck! Happens on a lot of Imprezas. Workaround (at least in my car) is to wind the windows up with the doors open (or, not quite as effective, open and close the door so that it "traps" the seal more effectively).

Seems to me the electric window motors are (sometimes) just not strong enough to get the windows all the way up. Fitting a new seal/using a "seal lubricant" can apparently sometimes help, but is not really solving the problem IMO.

Andy
Old 14 May 1999, 05:25 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Number 3) Yes everytime you wind the windows down and back up the seal doesn't quite get there. You have to open & shut the door of pull the seal.
Old 15 May 1999, 12:02 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Numbers 1 and 3. Yep... just something you learn to live with. Turn the stereo up.
Old 17 May 1999, 01:49 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Number 3. Yup. Same problem. Dealer fitted next window seals under warranty last week. No more problem.

Number 4. Same problem. Clunky gearchange going into 3rd and 4th. Going in next week for gearbox overhaul and new synchro.
Bummer!

Josh