Notices

Heel and Toe ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 1999, 05:04 PM
WESTFIELD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can any one advise on the heel and toe technique and if it requires any pedal mods to the Impreza ?
Old 09 May 1999, 10:28 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Heel and toe, is using the side or heel of your foot to 'blip' the loud pedal when braking, to enable the revs to be matched when changing down.

My faild experience of trying this in other cars such as BMWs is totally surpassed by my experience in my STi. The pedal layout is so perfect that this has now become second nature in braking and changing down. And when you get it just so, it is a great feeling.

So, in answer, no pedal adjustment required for my feet.

David
Old 10 May 1999, 12:10 AM
Andrew M
Scooby Regular

I being heel-and-toeing for some years. When I got the STi I did have Sparco pedal extensions fitted to help this - I have small feet.

I also use the side of my foot and with the closer pedals you can do it safely under heavy braking. (Going through the gearbox is both unnecessary and increases wear.) The only reason should be to improve smoothness. I don't blip the box, rather set the engine at the new speed. This takes some time to learn. During a high-performance lesson I was told to spend some time on an empty dual carriageway just practicing changing up / down and matching the revs.

I use H-a-T for all change downs and also to hill start. Doing this you can hold the car on the brake (not if you've just been driving hard as that would heat the pads too much and cause fade) and when you want to start rev the engine with the foot still on the brake. Doing this you can get a smooth hillstart without using the handbrake on balancing the car on the clutch.

Andrew
Old 10 May 1999, 12:42 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Andrew M - can I ask what the benefit of not using your handbrake for hillstarts is ?

How easy are the pedals to change as I find that heavy braking it's hard to blip / match. It's cool when you get it just right - it's all so smooth...

cheers

Andy
Old 10 May 1999, 08:08 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

I've been trying heel and toe as a way to get

(a) Less clunking through the transmission, especially when cold and to convince the quickshift to go into 1st sometimes ! (only when cold and it's due for it's service)
(b) To get excellent scoobysport exhaust noises

I find (MY98) that for me it's best to do it with the side of my foot - but when braking heaviliy it's much trickier. Also if you're trying to brake heaviliy and to go down through the gearbox there's rather a lot to do with your feet !

cheers

Andy
Old 10 May 1999, 01:04 PM
Andrew M
Scooby Regular

In reply: very little benefit apart from speed. I have a junction on a hill on my daily drive where I often need to pause for a couple of seconds.

I just asked my dealer to sort it. However it took them ages (I think they made a mistake first) so get a price agreed for the work not charged by the hour.

The extensions were about £12 and came from Grand Prix Racewear in Chiswick. They need holes drilling in the pedals. This is fine with the brake / clutch as the pedal is metal. The accelerator is plastic and can split when drilling. Whilst mine are aluminium Mike N has some Carbon Fibre ones.