Notices

Jerky acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 1999, 05:44 AM
James Roc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 98 Impreza turbo and I've had problems with extremly jerky acceleration!This would start to happen after I'd be driving for a while and say if I was trying to overtake in 3rd or fourth at just over 3000 revs,it would get the initial first burst of acceleration and then it would abrubtly jolt off for a microsecond and then on again!This could happen a couple of times in succession when I've got the peddle floored!Very disconcerting!At the garage they replaced a valve in the Turbo which made no difference and upon my return they discovered a frayed thin rubber hose linking the turbo which they replaced!It seemed to do the job but alas now the problem has resurfaced!Has anybody had this problem?Also has anybody had any problems with the doorseal on the drivers side at mirror level?Wind whistles through it at speed and water comes in at that point during washing!
Old 07 May 1999, 07:01 AM
Fred
Scooby Regular

James,

Take a look at "5th gear engine cut-out" topic then to "engine mis-fire" topic
Old 07 May 1999, 07:02 AM
jeff
Scooby Newbie

This seems to be a growing occurance. A few guys that have reported this problem have done a series of tests and replacements of many parts. It seems though that most of the guys (including myself) believe that the coil pack might be having a problem. The wires need to be rechecked for unusual corrosion, and ohm'd for excessive resistance. Whats been utterly amazing, is the dealers cannot find a code in the ecm, and after replacing so many components, throttle position sensor, map sensor, crank angle sensor, boost control solenoid and repalcing the plugs, and even flushing the turbo(which I thought was ridiculous) The problem wasnt solved. and the dealers spent a great deal on replacing parts that didnt fix the trouble. The last conversation I had with some of these guys on here, the next area to check was the afformentioned wires and coil pack. Good luck!.
jeff

Old 07 May 1999, 04:39 PM
James Roc
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys,Boy,judging from the previous replys its shocking how common this problem has become!Its unusual that it my case it was the replacement of a frayed thin rubber tube located roughly upper left in the engine department that solved the problem albeit temporarily!I surmised that it would have to be replaced again with a modified strenghtened rubber tube but alas it may not be quite that simple judging from the above!
Old 07 May 1999, 05:09 PM
chrisd
Scooby Regular

James, I also hear noise from the left doorseal near the mirror,but no water in the car.With my car it only happens if I open my window during driving and after it is closed again the noise starts.