Notices

Squeak from front wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 1999, 01:38 PM
AnthonyJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only noticed this recently, but as I'm driving along at low speeds in my 98 WRX, I get the occasional squeaking noise from one of my front wheels (I'm not sure which because it seems equally loud out of both front windows). It goes away when you go over a bump or wiggle the steeling wheel from side to side but comes back shortly afterwards (sometimes). It sounds very similar to the classic Impreza brake squeak when you apply very light pressure to the brake pedal when the brakes are cold. Can anyone suggest what this might be? Could it be a loose brake pad catching the disc? I don't think the discs are warped or anything, because the car stops very smoothly. If I take the wheel off, will it be obvious to me how to take the pads out and put them back in again?

Any help / comments greatly appreciated!
Old 02 May 1999, 12:17 PM
chrisd
Scooby Regular

Anthony ,I think this is being caused by brake dust(look at your alloy's after a week). If you're not a technical guy you better let a garage clean your brakes.
Old 02 May 1999, 01:17 PM
Neil Oxborrow
Scooby Regular

Anthony
I had the same problem begin on a MY97 Turbo. It got so bad at one point that people were begin to wince when I drove past. After numerous trips to the dealers to apply anti-squeal compound to prevent rubbing, it was decided that the pads needed replacement. The pads were on their way out anyway, so agreed, and this seems to have solved the problem. How old are your pads Anthony? I do not know much about the brakes on a WRX (or much about anything thinking about it!) but if the pads are low, they do tend to vibrate and rub.
Hope this is of help.
Neil