Notices

Metallic ticking noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 1999, 12:10 PM
Jack Cowell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car went for it’s 22500 service three weeks ago. I told them to change the brake fluid due to a spongy brake pedal at the same time. When I got it back and started it up, between 1000 –1200 RPM
You could here a ticking noise from the engine (like tappets a metallic sounding noise), you couldn’t here it above 1200 RPM due to the noise from the engine. I took it to be an air lock in the oil system due to it being changed. After running it home, about 10 miles, you could still here it. I lifted the bonnet and traced it to the air intake filter box. Can anybody shed some light on this, is there any kind of air valve or solenoid in there?…
I phoned Fraser Anderson about it and was due in for a looksee on the following Monday but as previously posted, I got a bit side ways on the Sunday. I phoned up today and will collect my Scoob on Friday all better after it’s hospitalisation. But they haven’t even looked at the ticking problem yet and it’s been in for two weeks :-(
They said they couldn’t look at it until after the holiday weekend (Tuesday) :-((
As I ‘m mechanically minded, I’m a bit worried it may be serious.
The brakes are still spongy but not as bad as originally stated.
On a lighter vane I’ve made up my mind on replacement wheels and tyres and went for the Radius R3’s fitted with Yoko A520’s 215/40/17 and will have them fitted Saturday morning.
Will let you know how different it feels.
Jack C
Old 29 April 1999, 09:49 PM
TC
Scooby Regular

Use the search engine to find the topics on WASTEGATE SOLENOID i think this willgive you the info needed on your problem.
Old 02 May 1999, 03:05 PM
WESTFIELD
Scooby Regular

I had a similar experience with my 98 spec car which I traced to a solenoid mounted on the drivers side turret. You can eaisly disconnect the solenoid by unpluging to confirm if this is the source. The dealer stated that this was normal on my car but remounted the valve on rubber mounts. I notice that my 99 spec car already has rubber mounts on the mounting bracket for this valve. Hope this helps.