Notices

Life of brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 1999, 10:30 AM
Ruud
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the average life of the standard brake pads of a MY98? How many miles do they last before they have to be replaced (assuming normal every day 'Impreza use')?

Cheers,
Ruud.
Old 24 April 1999, 10:31 AM
jeff
Scooby Newbie

Not to sound a little "out of sorts" but thats a factor that cant be judged that easily. Alot of times, an inspection at the time of tire rotation is an excellent time to check for unusual wear. I dont know how many miles you drive and how you class "normal use" as there are dozens of potential factors here. If you can predict the weather as well as "brake pad life" You could make yourself quite rich. There are different "types of brake pad materials" and they all are designed for a certain class of drivers, racers of the wrx, if I remember correctly, use a semi organic semi metallic compound. It dissapates heat ok, and offers good grip in the water and mud. but it does neither perfectly. The brakes on the wrx are so strong, they hardly need to be touched to stop that car from speed. Anyway, dont worry about it too much. You just can never tell for sure. If you drive alot of expressway, or city, it affects life of mileage based on either or.
Old 24 April 1999, 11:57 AM
imh
Scooby Regular

Hi Ruud
Not surprisingly, brake pad(& brakes!) threads reoccur on the BBS on a regular basis - try the search facility using "brake pads", "Mintex" etc and you should get a few more ideas/opinions.
My originals lasted 29k on my MY97 but I do a high proportion of motorway driving where you wouldn't expect to use your brakes as much!
ian