Notices

Intercooler fitting

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 1999, 03:59 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know whether an STI intercooler would fit easily into a MY97 UK Spec? I am having my Superchips remapped on a rolling road soon and wonder if the addition of a larger intercooler would give me a little more whizz after all is suitably tuned in together on the laptop(obligatory SS back box/Ramair already fitted). Cheers.
Old 16 April 1999, 04:32 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Hi,Dobbo,
Sorry but I can't help you with the intercooler,But I'm a little confused about having your Superchip remapped!
I was led to believe it is only able to increase boost,by fooling the ECU,and uses a bleed valve to a adjust it?By remapping,do you mean have the boost turned up?

Mark.A.
Old 17 April 1999, 09:43 AM
rupertu
Scooby Regular

Is an STi intercooler any bigger than a UK one ? Also, my (STi) one is made of very soft cheese, damaged easily by even a pressure washer. I'm therefore thinking of changing it for a slightly more durable item. Can anyone point me in the right direction please ?
Old 17 April 1999, 06:41 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

The chip removes the overboost limit and adds a blow off valve so you don't pop the turbo; no bleed valve as programme remaps ignition/fuelling etc as well. Now technology permits us to plug in to Superchips via a modem and custom tune the chip to take account of back box/filter airflow increases; can also tune it to more boost/fuel limits etc. at driver-preferred revs and so on. I'm also having the Superchips piggy back board removed in favour of a custom-blown chip (final adjustments made on road via laptop) which uses a smart card thingy so that you can simply drop back to standard settings when selling the car and no-one's any the wiser (blow off valve can be removed in a jiffy anyway). I think I've understood everything correctly but am leaving it to the pros to sort me out as they insisted that I don't just rush over for a quick half hour but that they take time to go through everything with me to check all is sound and exactly fitting to the car's limits and my own preferences... blah, blah, blah... ( )

[This message has been edited by Dobbo (edited 17-04-99).]