Notices

What sort of gain

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2003, 05:49 PM
Mr Slim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a ITG filter and a afterburner de-cat mid section for me motor, it a MY00 classic with a PPP. What sort of gains should I realisticly expect from these parts.

Cheers for any info. Paul.
Old 30 September 2003, 09:25 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Not sure I can fully answer but the air filter should improve breathing and maybe a little top end power being released. The PPP already has a decat center so again not sure of the exhaust in question but would only expect modest gains if any. It may sound better though. If you want a bit more go and noise I suggest you get a decat downpipe.
Old 30 September 2003, 10:37 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GO for downpipe you should be 250 ishhhh , alan
Old 30 September 2003, 11:20 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Just bought a ITG filter and a afterburner de-cat mid section for me motor, it a MY00 classic with a PPP. What sort of gains should I realisticly expect from these parts.
Mid-section isn't worth a huge amount given that the PPP already has decat centre. Maybe a couple more horsepower there. Air filter will maybe get you another 3-5 if we're being optimistic.

As Alan says, the biggest gains are to be had by replacing the downpipe with a cat-free one. You will find easily noticeable improvements in turbo spool, and hence low-end power and throttle response. However, before you do this, there are a couple of things of which you should be aware.

The first one is that the green slime the ITG filters are covered with is known to coat and damage the relatively fragile mass airflow sensors on the MY99-00 cars. This can cause the sensor to misread and make the ECU underfuel, which can result in detonation, and eventually serious engine damage. One of the unfortunate symptoms of this process is that the leaner mixtures will actually make the car quicker, so it'll feel better and better, right up to the moment it goes bang.

Fitting a decat downpipe can, with the PPP's small air restrictor and higher boost level, can cause transient overboost, which can cause direct damage, as well as indirect damage by promoting det.

Don't want to scare you unnecessarily, but much better you be aware of these issues than the unfortunate owner of a blown engine - as has happened to a few people here.

You will find the K&N and Green filters are regarded as "safer" than the ITG here because they don't coat the MAF sensor with gunk.

The MAF sensors on these cars periodically fail anyway, and whether you stick with the ITG or not, you can safeguard yourself by fitting an AFR meter and KnockLink. These devices together will give you a visual warning of problems before any damage is done to your engine.

Similarly, if you decide to go for a decat downpipe, fit a good quality boost gauge beforehand. This will enable you to see how the boost builds at the moment, and will also enable you to spot spiking if it happens. With these three gadgets on board, you can be confident that your engine is functioning within safe parameters, and thus as confident as you can be that you're not unknowingly heading for a big repair bill.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/30/2003 11:24:03 PM]
Old 01 October 2003, 07:28 AM
Mr Slim
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. The PPP I have on my Scooby only has a ECU, intercooler pipe work and a prodrive back box as far as i am aware. I know the mid section isn't SS as it is a bit rusty, and the cat is still in place.

Thanks chaps, Paul.