Notices

High Mileage Impreza's

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 1999, 12:45 AM
Mark Sleap
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an MY94 that has 45,00 miles and drives as new, no squeaks and rattles, very tight. Were the earlier cars better built? Or is it progressively harder suspension that shows up rattles etc? Anyway, as to longevity, I had a Legacy turbo saloon, which I sold to my dad 2 years ago, that has done around 130,000 miles, still very tight, on original turbo, exhaust and shockers. I have also heard of higher mileages than this without problems.
Old 26 March 1999, 09:18 AM
Stuey F
Scooby Regular

I recently took a '94 Impreza Turbo out for a test drive but turned it down due to the high mileage - 90,000 miles. Does anyone have experience of high mileage Scoobys and once over the 100,000 mile mark, do ownership costs esculate rapidly with respect to servicing and maintaining them?? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 26 March 1999, 10:36 AM
iaindean
Scooby Regular

Performance car did a used buyers guide in 97 sometime (can't remember(but I do have a copy), they said that trubos last between 100 & 150,000 miles I think and that the car is pretty much bullet proof, just makje sure FSH, check clutches replaced (once or twice!), and cam belt every 45K, you should be OK other than that, if it has been looked after.
Of course how long you plan to keep the car effects your decision: if you take it over two years (finance) then no problem, but if you take it over five years, I wold seriuosly think about not buying it!
Also a factor is the mileage you plan to add on to it!
Old 26 March 1999, 10:40 AM
Benny Boy
Scooby Regular

Hi Stu

A next door neighbour of Mum & Dad did 140,000 miles in his Prodrive car and went through a clutch and gearbox.

I do 5,000 miles a month. My car is on 41,000 at the mo. and it was bought 2nd hand in September last year with 10,000 on it.

I might be the highest mileage man on the BBS unless anyone cares to challenge me?

I think you'll find that even high mileage Imprezas will look after you if you look after it.

Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny Boy (edited 26-03-99).]
Old 26 March 1999, 06:09 PM
RobAnderson
Scooby Regular

I run a '94 UK Turbo with 45,500 miles and while it has been much tinkered with (chipped,induction-kitted,Exhausted+intercoolered)in the engine department, the actual block(top+bottom ends) and turbo are all untouched and are (famous last words) sound as a pound.The clutch(standard) is the only thing on its way out.The important factor essentially comes down to regular maintainance, most importantly oil-changes (I change mine approx. every 3750 miles, i.e. in between services) though I still get standard servicing done by dealer and make sure I always use S.unleaded. In terms of buying second-hand, high-mileage, there's little to be afraid of (apart from the usual pit-falls) as long as there is a solid FSH (preferably main-dealer) and you use your common-sense to spot obvious flaws, rattles or whistles.Even the turbo, as long as the previous owner hasn't let it fry should in theory make it to the 100,000 mark. There is also the seeming paradox that often a high mileage engine that has seen,say, mostly motorway-miles will be in far better condition than a low mileage engine that has been used for town pottering,the reason being that the motorway vehicle runs at its normal operating temperature and is regularly stretched to the normal parameters of performance (though hopefully not thrashed), while the town car is often not able to reach normal operating temperature and its engine performance is very limited and consequently can often lead to blocked oil-galleries,prematurely worn camshafts and excessive bore and piston ring wear and various other maladies.I'm not saying this is always the case by any means but justs illustrates how high mileage is not necessarily worse than low. Plus we are talking Subaru here, renowned for their longevity and as close to bomb-proof as such a high performance car could possibly be.Now if you were considering buying an elderly, high mileage Integrale then you might have something to worry about!
Old 26 March 1999, 08:50 PM
DavidP
Scooby Regular

Dec 95N 5dr - 54300 miles. The only out of the ordinary replacements I've had in nearly 3.5 years are a clutch at 10k (done under warrenty), 1 heat shield & 1 interior light bulb. Otherwise just normal consumables ie tyres, pads & 1 set of front disks and the regular servicing
The car is still taut and drives as well as ever and I love it to bits (until the new one arrives in a couple of weeks so I'm open to offers (standard UK spec plus sunroof & Prodrive drivers seat (plus original if required)))

btw I haven't had a loan car from the service agents with less than 140k mileage yet. All subarus and whilst the interiors have been tatty the engines and transmissions have been fine.