Notices

real water injection...

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 1999, 01:37 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do somebody have any experience with water injection as it is offered on this page?

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/index.html

This is NOT water injection ONTO the intercooler!!!
Old 12 March 1999, 02:58 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

Beleve Fast Car or Max Power fitted one of the kits (same or similar) onto a Cossie in a recent issue which I have buried somewhere. Accelerator switch on engine end of cable which activates spray into pipe going into the intercooler (don't ask me the technical names please as I can just about work out where the petrol goes in my car!). They reckoned that they got an extra 8hp or something. Want me to try and find the article and fax it to you? If so then use the icon above to send me an e-mail at home. I was seriously considering it too
Old 12 March 1999, 03:05 PM
Russell Haley
Scooby Regular

Ric

I had some experience with a similar system on a mini - cruder but the idea's the same.

This would really only be of use if you had very high boost pressures for long periods, or were using really low octane fuel as this detonates at lower pressures (STI V problems with RON95 ?)

You won't get any extra power worth speaking about, just save your engine from blowing up.

Basically you need to be seriously stressing the engine before you need it over any other mods.

Russ

Old 12 March 1999, 03:23 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

I want to fit another ECU with higher boost, and the pistons of the 98MY aren't very good cooled!!!
My car has to be absolutely reliable, thats why I want to fit the water injection, not for horsepower !!!
ric
Old 12 March 1999, 07:09 PM
Andrew Reynolds
Scooby Newbie

Russell

You talk about water injection on cars running 95 octane fuel. Do you belive that this will help as in Ireland it is hard to get 98 octane fuel. But I do not want to melt my STI 5 engine. I am keen to get a system like this if if will help the car

Andrew
Old 12 March 1999, 10:33 PM
Colin
Scooby Regular

Andrew,

Yes IMHO water injection would be a good idea if you can't get 98 RON for your STI V.
Old 14 March 1999, 02:28 PM
Dukas
Scooby Regular

Take a look at http://www.autospeed.com/A_0115/P_1/article.html it contains a lot of information.

Eran.

Old 14 March 1999, 07:10 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

If anyone's interested I sent an e-mail to Aquamist and their reply basically states that they're testing with Prodrive and no power increase can be had in the ****ty UK climate - can send a copy to anyone who can be bothered asking for it. Also, this month's Max Power advertises a forthcoming piston/crank etc upgrade kit for seriously modded Scoobies - more info inc. price to come I believe.
Old 15 March 1999, 04:09 PM
brumster
Scooby Regular

Water injection into the fuel-air mixture (as opposed to spraying it onto the surface of an intercool a la STi) is usually used to combat pre-ignition, unless I am mistaken?

Not necessarily a power-gainer in itself, but allows you to run higher boost or more advance without the worries of melting/cracking important parts of your engine (pistons, plugs, etc).

Used to be a trick on A-series motors which would pink like buggery under load when wildly tuned.

Not sure of it's merits in something like the Scooby - ie. in standard spec, simply bolting it on would do little in the way of extra power, I'd have thought?

Just a-wonderin'
Dan
Old 15 March 1999, 06:48 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Torque Developments in Dagenham were the ones offering the uprated rods/pistons/crank for about £600 in the ad.