Notices

Relay clicking when accelerator pressed.

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 1999, 07:19 PM
stream
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been driving a 97 5dr turbo for 3 days, and I've just noticed that when the accelerator is just pressed slightly, a relay starts clicking continually, until the pedal is released. When the engine is stopped, the clicking will continue, if the pedal is again pushed, for about 2 or 3 seconds. Is this normal, what is it? The car runs very well,( as far as I can tell in 3 days)
Concerned of Winchester.
Rob G

[This message has been edited by stream (edited 16-01-99).]
Old 16 January 1999, 10:33 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

See a thread further down. Am assuming that it's the solenoid on the drivers side. Little cylinder with two wires coming out of some clear plastic on the top of it (good technical description!). Don't ask me why but yes, after a time they start making a bit of a moise. Mines been doing it for a couple of months now. Don't think it's anything to worry about.
Old 18 January 1999, 04:51 PM
andybat
Scooby Newbie

It is the turbo wastegate control valve and mine has done the same for about 10,000 miles now.
I pointed it out at the last service and they reckon to have ordered one for replacement under warranty (at vast expense by all acounts)
I have no problems with the running and none of the symptoms with cutting out as a result of oil in the vac pipes due to being overfilled with engine oil.
Old 18 January 1999, 06:18 PM
TC
Scooby Regular

I have a MY98, and the clicking sounds like a top engine noise. I opened the bonnet to find out where it was from, seems to be right next to the air filter!.Does it present a major power problem if it is linked to the wastegate control valve?. Should be covered under warranty anyway.
Old 19 January 1999, 01:11 AM
Colin
Scooby Regular

As long as the solenoid is clicking, then it's almost certainly OK. The fact that the clicking is noticeable simply means Subaru have worked to a budget and not used an expensive silent type. It it stops clicking then it is time to worry - if it sticks open, then you'll experience "overboost cutout" on full throttle; if it sticks closed then the car will be noticeably under-powered and feel like a normally aspirated GTI type. Either way you'd notice it big-time. So all in all nothing to worry about. For a full explanation of its function - see my earlier posting - search under "clicking" (thread started 25-Oct-98).