Notices

Sti foglamp fitting

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 1998, 06:28 PM
rupertu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to fit the most "UK standard car" like rear foglamp when Sti 5 comes in, hopefully next month (8 week wait at the mo!. In other words I want to try and avoid any rather obvious "bolt-on" remedies. Any advice please ?
Old 27 November 1998, 04:51 PM
rupertu
Scooby Regular

Nobody responded to this question - is the answer so obvious and I'm just too stupid, or does nobody really know.

Also are other people waiting 8 weeks for Sti version 5 cars to be delivered in Japan, before shipping ? Or is it just me ?
Old 28 November 1998, 10:11 AM
tel
Scooby Regular

I have an STI V just being unloaded in Rotterdam, the SVA test will mean you will have to put a temporary clip on fog light for the test. However after the test you can do it the same way as Lockyear Cars. if you do it that way first it may fail.
Old 28 November 1998, 10:50 AM
abetts
Scooby Regular

The law requires that the fog lamp must be at least 100mm away from brake lights. I suspect the "Lockyear Cars" method involves tinting the lens of the o/s reversing light red and then wiring it up as a fog lamp. That is good enough to get through an MOT, where it is unlikely that the tester will be aware of the 100mm requirement, but it will not get through SVA.

As the previous correspondent says, you can wire up a 100% compliant fog lamp for SVA and the use the "Lockyear Cars" method post SVA.
Old 28 November 1998, 12:03 PM
MartinK
Scooby Regular

I will shortly take delivery of a WRX from Locyear cars. They fit a rear fog as standard within the existing rear light cluster. Apparently there is a space provided, its just not fitted. Lockyear are on 01403 891700.
Old 02 December 1998, 11:51 AM
ALANB
Scooby Regular

I know it's possible to fit UK rear light clusters as the more upmarket importers tell me they do this. I don't know how difficult replacing them would be but it sounds like the best solution to me!
Old 16 December 1998, 06:17 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

You would need to replace both light clusters as the imports have clear indicator lenses and the UK ones are orange. Some people who have tried have experienced leaks into the boot.
Old 19 December 1998, 09:20 AM
Miles Ashworth
Scooby Newbie

Rupert,
On the version v the fog light can be wired up to the high level brake light (to comply it has to be within 1m of the ground)- I know cos I got my version V and I got it through the sva last week.
With regard to putting it in to the rear cluster some stations will fail it as it has to be a certain distance from the brake light.