normally short trips (nasty) and I was
wondering what could cause this smell and
also how dark does everyone elses oil get
during the 6 months between the next
service?
Also the exhaust tip gets the black
powder coating on it. Is that normal?
I have also seen (on rare occassion) a
small amount of smoke (not precipitation)
coming out? Could this be from all the
short trips the car makes? (The car
is cooled down after the trips).
Old 25 October 1998, 03:01 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The smelly exhaust may be due to the Cat.

Every Scoob I've seen has rubbish black soot in it's tailpipe - even after a long fast run. Seems to me that the engine mapping is rubbish - chucking in too much fuel.
Old 11 November 1998, 10:17 PM
jeff
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In regards to the smell,Thats normal for cats
.Its called sulphur dioxide. Rotten eggs.If the Fuel you are speaking of contains a higher level of sulphur(higher octanes usually do)It will have a more pronounced smell of Rotten eggs.You also mentioned sooty buildup at the tail and driving smaller distances.I do not recommend a 6 mth replacement for the oil under those conditions. You are putting the oil under some high stress.Just The lack of engine reaching operating temperatures(short drives under 2 miles)And or excessive idling seriously weaken motor oil.Why? First off..The engine when first started goes into "choke mode" This is a mode that allows the fuel injectors to spray a stronger mixture of fuel to aid in startup and cold running.As the engine reaches "operating temprature" (usually around 180-185 degrees coolant temprature)Then the"brain" of the Subaru takes over. And controls the injectors to spray the appropriate 14.7 to 1 ratio of air and fuel.Instead of choking and wasting alot of fuel.But heres the catch..If you drive short trips,It never lets the computer turn off the "choke".And idling long periods for those who do..also wastes alot of extra fuel..Where does this extra fuel go? Alot goes out the tail pipe. But the oil is also being "used of useful life" That unburned fuel goes past the rings and into the oil.Not only does it reduce the life of the oil..But of the engine itself. That sooty buildup is normal in all internal combustion engines. And On the subaru, It has a horn type tailpipe. Those pipes allow for more of the deposits to build up. because simply.They are larger than normal. Some helpful tips to follow. #1 when you start your subaru let it idle for no more than 45 seconds.Start driving immediately. It warms the engine quicker to be under driving load.It Also saves fuel and unnessary wear.
#2.DO NOT Change the oil every 6000 miles or 6 mths. You drive under a classification of "Harder use" Stop and go..along with short distances kill motor oil. Change between 2000 and 3000 miles and or 3 mths.
#3. Use good quality motor oil and filters. The payback is enormous in long life for your subaru which is very capable of 300,000+miles.
#4.Occasionally,Once or more a week,Get the car out on the Expressway. 8 miles is all that is needed to get the engine and exhaust up to temperature. It eliminates excess exhaust moisture, and moisture in the oil from startups. All engines produce Good old H2O. heres the ratio. 1 gallon of burned fuel produces 1 gallon of water. You cannot eliminate moisture,But it enhances the life of the exhaust system dramatically.
#5 If you want to get more water out of the muffler and eliminate more rust, This is a neat tip..Drill a tiny hole in the bottom of the muffler 9/32 or 1 to 2 mm. I know it sounds crazy, But it really works.
If it already has a hole. dont worry about it.
#6 enjoy your car. Its built well and Is the best subaru has created to date. Make your investment count. I hope these tips were of help.