Notices

Hello and Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2003, 05:18 PM
Mart555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all. As the proud owner of my first Scoob, a '96 555 STi RA, I've been meaning to get round to joining the forum for a few weeks. Well now I have to, 'cos I'm worried I've hurt my car, and I'm hoping someone out there can help.
Basically, I was tinkering under the bonnet, and out of curiosity, decided to remove the Blitz dump valve and replace it with the original Sti unit that came with the car. (Don't know why, I just did!) Took the car out for a test drive, and everything seemed ok, pulling like it normally does, then a few coughs and wheezes and the red "Check Engine" light came on. Now I'm worried. As I limped home, the engine was still running ok, with no horrible mechanical noises, but it obviously wasn't happy with higher revs or any turbo action. I've refitted the Blitz valve now, and everything seems fine at idle, but the red light is still on and I'm wary of taking it on the road for any further testing. will the red light stay on until it's reset, regardless of wether the fault has been removed? Or have I really knackered it?
Any clues anyone?
Thanks for reading, best wishes
Mart
Old 13 September 2003, 06:53 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Hi Mart,

It sounds like you have disconnected something whilst fitting your dump valve,probably unintenionally.
If you look under the dash by the steering column you will find two single terminal spade connectors.If you join these together and then turn the ignition on the check engine light will begin to flash.You will then need to count the number of flashes which will tell you the fault and the area the problem is in.
To be honest it really sounds like you have knocked a plug off a sensor or something.If you email me I can send you my phone number and give you some advice over the phone if you wish.
Failing that do a search on here and you will find loads of info.

Steve
Old 13 September 2003, 07:20 PM
Mart555
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve, many thanks for the reply.
Just been out in the car after plucking up a bit of courage. Seemed ok, but when I accelerated upto 4500 rpm the rev limiter kicked in. It does this in all gears except 5th. If the car sensed something wrong after I fitted the valve, would it reset the limiter to prevent any further damage?
You might be right about an electrical connection. before I ventured under the bonnet, I was poking about behind the centre console trying to make sense of the mass of wiring lurking there. The previous owner had fitted a set of gauges and G-reddy sender units, but all the manuals are in Japanese so it's a bit of a mystery trying to unravel it all!
I'll go and look for the wires you mentioned, and try to email you in case it all goes wrong!
Thanks again mate
Mart
Old 14 September 2003, 08:06 PM
sti4
Scooby Regular

Mart

If you are struggling with your car and need a hand give me a bell and I can pop round and show you what to do as I live in spalding. We have a regular meet every month as well

Cheers

Nigel 07736060122
Old 14 September 2003, 08:41 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your engine's gone into "safe" mode, so there remains a problem if it's feeling the need to protect itself like this.

If you look under the steering column area you should find two pairs of connectors, either hanging loose, or possibly taped up. One pair will be green and the other pair black.

Connect the black ones together, turn the ignition on, and look closely at the Check Engine light. It will flash a series of long and short pulses, which correspond to an error code. Long flashes are tens and short flashes ones (so two long flashes and three short = error 23 and so-on). If there's more than one error, it'll flash each code in sequence, so make a note of everything until the numbers start to repeat.

Once you've got everything written down, post the numbers.

On a related note, is the Blitz valve a vent to atmosphere or a recirculating one? On the assumption it's a VTA, did you reconnect the vent pipe to the original valve when you refitted it, and if so, did you remove any bung or block that had been inserted to seal it while the Blitz was on?
Old 14 September 2003, 10:13 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Gald you got it sorted Mart ,ta for the mail letting me know the score.

Steve
Old 15 September 2003, 12:38 AM
Mart555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi all, just wanted to say a big "thanks" to everyone who offered their help and advice, all very much appreciated!

I got it sorted in the end, turns out it probably wasn't related to me messing about with the dump valve. Earlier in the day I'd unplugged and removed what seemed to be some sort of trip computer and timer from the dashboard. The previous owner had fitted this thing and it was just getting on my nerves by flashing away at me when I'm trying to speed! So off it came, but I didn't drive the car again until after the dump valve episode. After taking Steves advice that it could be something electrical, it dawned on me that unplugging "that timer thing" might have had repercussions! Sure enough, as soon as I reconnected it everything went back to normal.
As I said to Steve, why can't I just leave things alone?!

Greasemonkey-when I removed the Blitz valve, it only had one inlet hose fitted and a smaller take-off, presumably for a sensor somewhere. The STi unit has both of those, plus an outlet. I'm guessing that this is the equivalent of the trumpet on the Blitz?

Nigel-I'll give you a call soon, I'm only down the road at Wittering! Would be good to meet up some time. There's a 555 meet next Saturday at dartford but I don't think I'll be able to make it this time.

Thanks again everyone,
Cheers!
Mart