Notices

For lovers of the intercooler water spray debate...

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2003, 10:13 AM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I was just wondering why I hadn't noticed it over the past 5 months or so I've had it, in much hotter weather. Oh well.

Edited to say that it follows then, that the sole reason could be the increased heat caused by the lack of heat shield on the turbo... which is surprising, and worrying. Lucky they're putting it back on tomorrow morning.

[Edited by Ex_Pug - 9/4/2003 10:16:19 AM]
Old 04 September 2003, 12:23 AM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

...on the STi8. I was allways sceptical about it's automation, just because I never heard it, or had problems with running out of water over the hotter summer months. Tonight however, after a long run up the motorway from Middlesex to Lancashire, I had the car sitting on the drive, engine running, while I opened up the house and took a few things inside. The cooler fans came on twice, and just after they had shut down the second time, I got back in the car, and eased it into the garage. Then, to my surprise, just as I came to a stop, the familiar bzzzzssshh (just like that!!) signalled the operation of the I/C water spray. I pressed the button afterwards to make sure it was the same noise, and indeed it was.

So goodness knows what triggered that one. Outside air temp was 9, SECS read IN temp at 30, coolant at 88, and obviously no boost. Not exactly extreme conditions in that respect. It just bugs me when I don't know why my car's doing something. The turbo heat shield is missing from my car at the moment, (because my dealer didn't realise it had to go back on after PPP) so I hope that excessive heat didn't trigger some temp sensor somewhere down there. It'd be nice to know.

A freak occurance??
Old 04 September 2003, 09:44 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat soak, with your engine running and no air pasing through the engine bay, the IC will have heated up. Once you move the car, the spray will run in preparation for you caning it.
Old 04 September 2003, 10:21 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Do you have a modified system ?, I thought the IC spray was manual ?
Old 04 September 2003, 11:01 AM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

It's not modified, no. The system does appear to have some automatic functionality as is, but it's not entirely clear exactly what is involved. Hence the debate.
Old 04 September 2003, 05:36 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

I thought it was manual,but after a rapid blat was letting the car cool down with the bonnet open and it sprayed!!! so the inside switch is just if you want a manual spray.