Notices

exhuast or chip

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2003, 11:02 PM
bakes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi everyone.
i need some advice,i have a 2000 w reg impreza turbo i have approx £650 to spend on improving performance and response of the car. i have been in touch with several tuning companies who recommend a ecutek chip or replacing standard exhuast (downpies,de-cat,back box) apparently either option will result in approx 20-30 bhp what do you guys think would be the best option,i also do not want to effect reliability
any thoughts or suggetions would be helpful
graham baker
Old 02 September 2003, 11:16 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, having done the full exhaust on mine, (uk ny00) I would say do the exhaust and filter, I got 260 solid BHP out of mine, so yours should be the same, really, the centre section doesn't give much, just a bit more noise really. if you're only gonna do one section of exhaust, do the downpipe, it makes the biggest difference
Oh, and welcome!!
Ron
Old 02 September 2003, 11:25 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

What it boils down to, IMHO:

Exhaust - will get the turbo in earlier (ie at lower revs), although peak torque won't go up a lot. Will let the power keep going to higher revs, so peak power will go up plenty. Will give you more noise. Full de-cat will mean either finding a "symapthetic" MOT tester or changing back to standard exhaust every time you go for MOT, as otherwise you will fail emmissions. Very obvious you've got it to everyone else

Chip - Won't make the turbo come in very much earlier. Will give bigger gains in mid-range torque. Won't effect emmissions, won't effect noise. Higher boost (generally), so a little bit more strain on the engine, but still no significant reliability problems. Fairly "stealthy" mod.

For all out performance, go for both! Exhaust can be done in stages, so you could, for example do the chip, and then fit the exhaust in 3 easy installments later!
Old 02 September 2003, 11:30 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

I had the de cat downpipe and de cat centre section, lasted for 3 days till it done my head in droning at 90 mph on the motorway. Kept the de cat centre section and went for TEK2 re map on my 00MY turbo.
Really felt the difference, real smooth power delivery and the car really feels so much better to drive. The best bit is you dont have to find a MOT friendly inspector either.

If you go for a full decat you need to get a re-map anyway to make sure you dont get boost spikes (thats what I was told)