Notices

Improving handling

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 12:33 PM
LeMans
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I use my Impreza WRX for hillclimbs and race on a twisty course and want to improve the handling of the car.

I currently run production category but am changing to modified category and have obtained a set of adjustable suspension, up rated springs, front strut brace and some slicks but what else can I do.

Presumably some uprated polybushes all round will assist?.

Will an anti-dive kit make any difference?.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated please.
Old 27 August 2003, 02:04 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you'd want to do depends a lot on how you think it's handling at the moment. Is there a specific handling trait you want to change/enhance/alleviate?

Hard bushes will certainly sharpen the car up, albeit at the expense of noise and refinement. If you're not using it as a daily driver though, that's not an issue.

Anti-dive geometry mod can be a bit of a double-edged sword, as it can make the car more prone to lift (hence understeer) under power. Bit of a suck it and see situation there.

Uprated droplinks, possibly along with thicker anti-roll bars will get the inside wheels doing more work and increase overall cornering grip, at expense of some wheel articulation if the courses you're using are very bumpy.

Beyond that, bumpsteer mod would help loads if you haven't already had it, along with getting the toe and camber set properly. This is especially applicable after change in suspension and ride height.