new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2003, 01:33 PM
Dina
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi all

Just brought a MY93 clasic pick the car up on thursday from birmingham. The car is standard at the moment but i want about 300bhp out of it what are the best ways of getting this or can i just wind up the boost to 1 bar. Also any common fualts i should look for as the car comes witha 1 year warranty. I test drove it and everything seemed ok.

Thanks

Mark
Old 26 August 2003, 03:12 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeez, where to start? No you can't "just turn the boost up", at least not without risking your engine eating itself because of detonation. In any case, seem to recall that these cars run 1.0 bar or thereabouts standard... Is there any reason why you want 300bhp specifically, other than that it's a nice round number?

As for common faults, need to use Search button really, and TBH, you'd have been better off asking this question before you bought it, surely?

Plenty's been written on what to look for, beyond obvious evidence of accident damage/repairs such as overspray and welding under the sills. Whiny turbo, whiny/griding transmission, etc. etc. Also pay attention to the mileage and service intervals. Things like timing belts need replacing at the proper intervals, and if you're not sure things like this have been attended to, it's better to replace early than leave one on the car long enough to snap.

With a Jap import, one of the first questions you need to ask is what fuel it's been run on.

If he tells you without any prompting that it's been remapped for UK fuel, ask who by and when. If he tells you it's always been run on 97/98 RON fuel plus octane booster, you can have a little more confidence in it.

If it already has gadgets like a KnockLink installed, that's a big plus point, as it implies the owner knows about this danger and has taken steps to cover himself.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 8/26/2003 3:16:05 PM]