Notices

Induction noise

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 10:47 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just what is the induction noise of an Impreza with an induction kit supposed to be????
I have fitted a Blitz kit and my car basically sounds like a leaky air line as soon as I put my foot down!!!! The car still goes the same.
I have had induction kits before (on normally aspirated vehicles) and the gave that pseudo "twin 45 sidedraughts" noise!!!!
Is the noise I hear normal for an Impreza???? The turbo whistle is quite loud anyway, but I like that.....the induction "hiss/shhhhhh" drowns it out!!!!!

[Edited by martyrobertsdj - 8/18/2003 10:48:49 PM]
Old 18 August 2003, 11:13 PM
Beer Good
Scooby Regular

I hate it (bought car with one fitted), and from reading a few posts here it actually drains power. That said, seems to add about 1 mpg so pays for itself.

Would readily swap back to panel filter. Dunno what anyone else thinks....
Old 19 August 2003, 05:46 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Careful with the fuel economy issue Mr Good. Could be that the induction kit is making the MAF sensor misread and thus lean the mixture off.

If it's doing this in a high boost/revs situation, the results could be expensively unpleasant, so if you're not already using a KnockLink, now would be as good a time as any to invest in one

Old 19 August 2003, 08:42 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

IMHO
I recon it depends on the kit, some are better than others in quality of fit and most of all filtration, there was a test done a while back and several of the well known makes where not too good when it came to filtering out stuff. also noise levels differered between makes.

I had an MY99 with a Pipercross kit, it sounded great (IMHO). I had it fitted along with a Mongoose b/box at the same time. It improved the cars ability to rev no-end. the car felt more responsive. I got a slightly better MPG, maybe 1-2 per gallon. and all in all i recon it was well worth it. The P/x kit is not that loud mind. I also removed the centre cat and this also improved the mid range. £ for £ worth doing, not sure of the BHP gains but it was a much imporoved car to drive. Being the b/box and ind kit where fitted at the same time it would be difficult to attribute the extra power/harder pull of the car to one thing mind.

The MY99's have been known to have MAF sensor problems, i did 45K miles with an ind kit and it never missed a beat.

Try a search on Ind kits for more info, there is a lot written about them.

There is a fair bit of difference between kits.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 8/19/2003 8:58:44 AM]
Old 19 August 2003, 09:55 AM
Eddoe
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had alot of MAF problems on my MY99 and bought a blitz SUS kit to solve this as it was the standard panal filter that caused the problem with the MAF(oil onto MAF). I have had the kit for a couple of months now, no problems and i love the sound, nice to hear the dump valve type sound aswell after fitting this!!!! Seems to give better throttle response and it revs alot more freely, i also have the blitz nur spec r exhaust.
Old 19 August 2003, 10:54 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

APS induction kit sounds mental, just as though you have a VTA dump valve. You can also hear what the turbo is upto..