Notices

ECUTek remapping

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2003, 02:51 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A big proportion of the money initially spent is licensing. is that correct?
Which is why subsequent maps are much cheaper. is that also right?
but is that for the life of the car or is it transferrable to newer cars?
Ie, Im a MY99 going for Tek3.
In a few years when I come to sell my car, will I be able to get my next car remapped at the cheaper rate, rather than paying the license fee again?
Is it like a paper ticket allowing you to go to the tuner and thereby only pay his fees?
also what happens at MOT time? I will need to reinstall some CATs, thereby making a right mess of the map and could be leaving myself open to potential damage by running the car in a different state of mapped tuning.
Questions, questions always with the questions I know

Andy....
please, please do not post a link to ECUtek because Ive looked and cant find the answers I need
Old 12 August 2003, 03:25 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Peanuts

The license is allocated to the ECU, not the owner. I can't speak for all mappers but we make no charge for reverting the map back to a previous version, or downgrading to allow for cat replacement etc. Iam sure that most other mappers would work the same way.
Old 12 August 2003, 04:15 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ditto Pete..............
Old 13 August 2003, 10:16 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

Pete

I e-mailed off line yesterday because of problems with Scoobynet.

AFAIK for the the MY01 EcuTeK remaps the Licence lies with the Mapper and not the "ECU". The "owner" of the ECU is simply licensing the code from the mapper. I guess it's like Intelectual property right...the mapper has spent the time / effort so "owns" the code.

Hence if I change mapper the £600 plus VAT for my EcuTeK remaps simple evaporate..

Midlife....
Old 13 August 2003, 10:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For an MOT you can safely refit a cat and drive gently to the test centre without changing the map.

The licensing system is a little complex, and has developed over time to meet practical, technical and commercial requirements.

For MY99/00 any tuner can reprogram a previously tuned ECU without consuming a new license if there is a programming license in the ECU. When programming there is an option as to whether to allow the ECU to be programmed again (by the original tuner or any other) without reusing a new license. I think all who buy licenses from Ecutek would leave their ECUs open so that they can be easily reprogrammed at a later date. Ecutek themselves may not leave a reprogramming license in the ECU. So the ECU needs to be checked first to see if it can be reprogrammed without using a further license.

For MY01 onwards, the license is tuner specific. Only the original tuner can reprogram the ECU without consuming a further programming license.

[Edited by john banks - 8/13/2003 10:40:25 PM]
Old 13 August 2003, 10:58 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

John

Like most things in life there are winners and loosers...I worked on the Eurofighter 2000 and my employers might have won something as IPR rests with them.

I lose as the mapper I chose for my MY02 does not do custom maps and I have to follow the expertise as my Hardware starts to deviate markedly from what can be covered by the EcuTeK example maps....I have absolutely no problem with this as this is commercial "market forces" in action.

Midlife.....

[Edited by midlife-crisis-scooby - 8/13/2003 11:15:39 PM]