Notices

New to Impreza's - Need Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2003, 03:23 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) What Brun said, basically. There are a number of potential failures that could case the symptoms you're experiencing. MAF sensor is the most likely suspect, but you must also have a look at the lambda sensors, idle speed control valve, throttle position switch, and more besides. Regarding the fuel economy, what exactly is "horrendous"? Imprezas have sh* fuel consumption, period. If you drive enthusiastically, mpg figures in the teens should not be unexpected, so this alone may be a red herring.

2) If all you're interested in is decent pads, your choices are likely to be Pagid RS4.2.1, Mintex 1155 or Ferodo DS2500. All are excellent for your proposed use. Discs are a bit of a minefield. IME unless you're going to go for a complete disc/caliper replacement, you may as well stick with OE spec discs, as none of the "aftermarket" ones really justifies the extra expense.

3) As Brun says. You could also try here .

4) Again as Brun says, you must use Optimax/Super Unleaded plus octane booster in a JDM car, unless either it's been remapped for UK fuel, or the prospect of an expensive engine rebuild appeals to you!

5) Manuals? You mean workshop manuals or the normal instruction book type thing you'd find in the glovebox? As far as the former is concerned, you'll find a lot of info on general jobs here , and there's plenty more info out there on the web, and here courtesy of the Search button

[Edited by greasemonkey - 8/4/2003 3:29:30 AM]
Old 03 August 2003, 11:09 PM
FR05T1
Scooby Regular

After wanting an Impreza for some years I finally have one - an MY93 WRX Silver Classic. However the car has a number of minor niggles I want to sort out.
1. Cold running is very "choppy" on the throttle resulting in some stalling. Soon after start up the engine rev's cycle from around 1000 to 2000 and back without any throttle input. All OK when warmed up; Fuel consumption is also horrendous. I have read some other threads which suggest it could be the MAF sensor. Can anyone confirm or advise on this? (Could'nt quite work out where the MAF is fitted!)
2. There is a judder from the steering under medium to heavy braking, one of the front discs is badly scored so maybe the problem. I would like to replace / update the front brakes, can anyone advise on a suitable disc and pad replacement - fast road use only; no track day stuff needed.
3. I need a replacement rear (R/H) light lens - does anyone know of a supplier for such items. I may consider updating the lights in the future.
4. Best fuel to use?? Consensus seems to be Optimax, is that right or can normal unleaded be used. (So many conflicting stories)
Lastly - is it possible to get manuals for Impreza's, I have'nt seen any . . .
Any useful advice would be appreciated. Thank you
PS What happened to the Silver Scoob corner in the pictures area?
Old 03 August 2003, 11:38 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1./I think the maf would cause rough running regardless of engine temp. It is located just after the airbox. It will have a connector plugged into it. If you unplug it with the engine running, there should be a noticeable lumpy tickover appear.

2./Look in the wheels tyres and brakes section for better advice than i can offer on brakes

3./http://www.gradea-subaru.co.uk/ will supply you with STi rear clusters for around £200

4./Your car is mapped to run on Jap 100 ron fuel. You need to put in SUL + octane booster. DO NOT USE NORMAL UNLEADED cos you will very much risking your engine - seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Impreza manuals don't really exsist.
Go to the Members Gallery and you will find the Silver Scoobs Corner thread as i have brought it back to the top for you
Old 04 August 2003, 12:10 PM
FR05T1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many thanks for all your replies I will search through the recommended links/threads
Old 04 August 2003, 12:52 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Choppy starting/even worse than expected fuel economy points at a knackered lambda. These should, really, be replaced every 30,000 or so but rarely are. When breaking, they read so the engine overfuels, hence economy gets even worse. Also, at cold startup, all Impreza's are pants - they switch too early to using the lambda sensor for fuelling & it hasn't warmed up - but changing the lambda may well help here too.
MAFs are pretty tough on that model, I think. Well, not as delicate as on the later models, anyway
Old 04 August 2003, 04:44 PM
FR05T1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Plenty to go on here. I've just got to familiarise myself with the location of all these parts!
Thanks again All . . .