Notices

Judder at low revs.......help please

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2003, 07:57 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had scoob serviced (MY99) 67500 but only done 52k, nothing found wrong on service.

When accellerating (water temp up to norm, oil not), after a few miles, from 3000 revs in fifth the car seems to have a slight judder. Its only just perceptable but its still there. Its not happened until recently and didn't happen on me last scoob.

Is it just the turbo winding up or is it a problem, anybody help.

Ta

Ru
Old 30 July 2003, 11:38 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Wow thanks for the help - NOT
Old 30 July 2003, 11:51 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe the person who might know the answer to your question hasn't found his way onto Scoobynet this morning - Chill out.
Old 30 July 2003, 11:55 AM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

That's a rather negative view to the board. Not everyone with technical knowledge is available 24/7.

I see it is only fifth which suggests the clutch is not to blame as you should see judder in the other gears also.

If the plugs were changed along with the filter etc... it may be the car is behaving differently due to the ECU being retarded (or similar) from the older worn parts. Different breathing and power delivery may give a different response for a little.

If it is only just noticable I would suggest you keep driving for a week and see if it goes away. If it gets worse or moves to other gears also I would suggest that you have it checked. A sensor may have been bumped during the service.

Hope it's sorted soon.
Old 31 July 2003, 10:38 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Check the oil level- there may be too much in. Read your owner's manual for an explanation >;o)
Old 31 July 2003, 11:45 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

A judder is likely to be the fuelling being wrong (too little). Causes I can think of could be the ECU putting in the wrong amount in the first place (misreading sensor), or the BOV screwing up. Both are quite possible!
If you have an aftermarket BOV, it could be out of adjustment, or a hose is going/gone.
As it's a MY99, it could also be the initial signs of a dodgy MAF. If the car was services at an official Subaru garage, they are unable to detect failing MAFs - only failed ones. And the original MY99/00 MAFs are notoriously pants. This seems the most likely to me as it sounds like it's not 'reporting' a high enough air flow/voltage (as it only does it in 5th, or is most noticeable there).
So, check around the BOV, and keep a check on your idle (another sign of a failing MAF), presuming that you don't have an AFR meter?

BTW - getting annoyed at someone who might be able to help if they feel like so inclined is not a great way of getting helpful responses! I'm just bored in the office at the moment...