Notices

Clutch Judder

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 10:32 PM
scoobydu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just thought I would add my experience to a problem which obviously alot of scoob owners are having.

I own a my95 wrx and I have just had the clutch replaced because there was a judder when pulling away. Was told rear engine oil seal had leaked and contaminated the clutch so I was happy to have this repaired.

A clutch pressure plate, drive plate and thrust bearing were fitted and the flywheel skimmed. I couldn't wait to drive the car and experience no judder.....HA!! Guess what?, even more clutch judder than before, still had the problem pulling away in 1st but now had the judder when coming down the gears, is okay when changing down when the revs are kept high, ie drop to 4th at 55-60, drop to 3rd 45-60 etc, but any slower than that and the car judders quite violently. I also have a strange rattle/vibration from the clutch pedal above 2000rpm???

Took the car back to garage and the mechanic (who I do trust as he rallies his own impreza) couldn't find a problem with the clutch!! At present I have been given the choice of live with it or remove the clutch and return it for a warranty inspection. But if there is no problem found with the clutch then I will have to pay for the removal and refitting of the clutch!!!

At least glad to know that I am not making the problem up!!!

Cheers
Big Al

[Edited by scoobydu - 8/1/2003 11:09:25 PM]
Old 28 July 2003, 10:29 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Question

I am getting some Clutch Judder in 1st and 2nd gear ... does anyone know what causes this and if it's something to be worried about. I had a new clutch put in nearly two months ago.

Appreciate any help/advice given.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 29 July 2003, 11:07 AM
IRock
Scooby Regular

Take a search for clutch judder at the top of the screen.

No its not a problem, warm your car up then from a standing start take the revs up to 5000rpm and let the clutch out.

This should do the trick.
Old 29 July 2003, 12:44 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers IRock ... will try that.
Old 29 July 2003, 02:01 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

mine judders a bit when cold, but is fine when warmed up.

I've heard that replacing the release bearings with ones from the STi should resolve the problem... TSL sell 'em for about £80 I think.
Something I've thought about but not got round to yet... Will probably wait until I've binned my clutch after USC
Old 29 July 2003, 07:45 PM
206CC
Scooby Regular

There is a modified/improved flywheel available for the Turbo's to try and combat the judder problem..

Dealer Scooby Tech
Old 29 July 2003, 08:14 PM
Phil WRX 01
Scooby Regular

Myo1 WRX has the same problem when cold I was told that it is just the characteristics of the car I read in a scooby site that it has got to do with the amount of power that goes through the wheels and the clutch finds it hard to deal with when cold .

Trending Topics

Old 29 July 2003, 08:19 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Gangsta..
Just a thought but did the flywheel get skimmed when the clutch was replaced?? sometimes if the flywheel has been hot and is not skimmed the clutch will stil judder on take up when replaced.
This is not always the case but could be why you are having probs.

Rob
Old 29 July 2003, 08:50 PM
Phil WRX 01
Scooby Regular

my car is going in next week to have its clutch and fly wheel replaced . They are replacing the fly wheel because the heat off the clutch causes heat spots on the fly wheel .
Old 30 July 2003, 11:32 AM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for all your replies guys ... given me lots of options - really appreciate the help.

Rob
Old 30 July 2003, 12:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Phil WRX

It may not be necessary to replace the flywheel, its only if it has been damaged with excessive slipping which has caused surface cracks. If the face looks ok, the extra expense may well be unecessary.

Les
Old 30 July 2003, 06:41 PM
Phil WRX 01
Scooby Regular

Don't worry leslie I am getting the clutch and fly wheel replaced under waranty . ( THANK F*CK).
Old 30 July 2003, 08:27 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I don't think I know a scooby owner who hasn't had clutch judder, I have been told by my friendly scooby dealer its something you will have to put up with or as others say, give it 5000rpm start!! mine always judders for the first few miles but mainly after a rainy day as i think some moisture gets in.
Old 30 July 2003, 08:32 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Very true mate, the scoob drivetrain is quite a heavy one, add that to a car that isnt that light, then the boxer design...

Rob
Old 02 August 2003, 08:43 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I've had two clutches replaced under warranty - one on my old (MY00) Scoob and one on my current (MY01).

On my old Scoob, thew new clutch was fine for around 10-15K miles, then it started happening again.

On my current car, so far so good with the new clutch. I would also say that the new clutch is a significant improvement over the original one. I believe that it is slightly larger and has been introduced by Subaru to combat the judder problem. It also has a lighter feel on the pedal and allows you to get away cleanly in first gear with much less fuss.

It is certainly a problem that has been experienced by a lot of owners. As far as I am concerned, it is a problem and not a 'feature' or 'characteristic' - if it was, why have Subaru dealers replaced two clutches under warranty (one significantly outside the 20K mile limit stated in the warranty for clutches)?

If your car is within the warrany period and it is bad enough, make a fuss - you shouldn't have to put up with it.

Chris
Old 02 August 2003, 01:14 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Ive been lucky ive not had judder i just blow mine to bits
Old 02 August 2003, 08:15 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Had judder this morning; right in town when it was busy.
Makes you look a right @rse (yea I know its not difficult)
Old 04 August 2003, 01:12 PM
jbagh
Scooby Regular

I also have the clutch judder. I had my clutch replaced 10.000km ago, along with pressure-plate and lightnend the flywheel. Did not help, other than I know now that my clutch will need replacement within the next year :-(

I have talked to alot of owners and experts. As many ideas as persons!! The best explanation though is that the flywheel gets uneven from the powerpressure, and then tears the pressure-plate in the clutch uneven and therefore the judder. Replace the flywheel with a lightend one, and another clutch (ex. AP)
Old 04 August 2003, 03:43 PM
Vigs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have just had fitted an organic AP clutch plus uprated release bearing and re-skimed fly wheel but i still have the judder problem!

Think you just have to live with it!
Old 04 August 2003, 07:54 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

VIgs - I've been considering the AP Organic clutch... what's it like to live with (other than the judders still there!).

Is it much heavier than standard or does it feel pretty much the same?? Is it still progressive or is it a bit jumpy??
Old 04 August 2003, 09:10 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Mine also has this problem

You have just goto get used to it
Old 14 January 2008, 01:18 PM
michaeljorme
Scooby Newbie

I just had my clutch replaced at 80k miles when it started to slip with an Exedy 230mm kit (including release bearing).

I used to get clutch judder when cold and only pulling away in first, now I get it (less severely) in first, second and reverse and quite severely on down changes (getting worse in lower gears) even when warm. The flywheel was inspected and replaced with a good used one since 5 of the ring gear teeth were worn, which was causing starting problems.

I trust the mechanic who did the work that it has been done right because he has been a rally mechanic for many years with Imprezas. He has seen it before but is not too sure about how usual it is on road cars. Is this something that will improve with use or is it a problem that needs sorting now?