Notices

Gavin P, Charge cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2003, 01:35 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read your page and think i'm going to go for the same sort of set up myself, and accept the losses against a front mount in favor of less lag.

A couple of questions though..

what pressure can the pump deliver?

and have you thought of using a high pressure radiator, through an orrifice to a low pressure on the cooler for additional cooling?

Did you look in to this? If so are any real gains expected?

Good job by the way

I intend to get the volume by using an even bigger radiator though.
Old 13 July 2003, 01:52 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like this?

Using a davies craig pump, 80L/minute. You do want as fast a flow as sensible, but not to restrict the flow to get pressure, no point. My system is on a Legacy anyway and uses (for now) the standard heat exachanger at the engine, but the pump isn't very high flow really.

Paul
Old 13 July 2003, 04:23 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmm....now that does look good
Old 13 July 2003, 04:55 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

I made the mistake of trying to fit the absoloutely biggest rad in that I could. As a result I had to dremel the headlights a little, and flatten corners of end tanks with hammer.

If it were 10mm less in each direction it would drop in as intended.

1.25" / 32mm hose is too big for sensible fitting 1" would be idea for most applications I think. THe wire reinforced hose doesn't kink on tight bends though, so works well. 1/5th the price of Samco superflex wire/silicone hose.

Pump is run by existing wiring in place on Legacy. I measured the free running current draw on existing pump and it was about the same as the Davies Craig part, so figured it was worth a try.

I will be adding some ducting inside the front bumper to aid flow to the region up behind the number plate.

With slight tweaks to a few things, the rad would drop in place on a Legacy.

Paul
Old 13 July 2003, 11:21 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Cool

So what Rad is that, Paul? And do they do one that's 1cm smaller in all directions?
Old 13 July 2003, 11:53 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

The rad was made by Pace to my drawing. SO I can get another made with the tweaks.

Cost is on the high side at £317 inc VAT, I may be able to work on that, will come down a little with smaller core etc.

For those not after super duper power, same rad with thinner core would also be cheaper, this one is 40mm thick single tube.

MRT in Oz do one for about £280 by the time it's here but it's smaller and just a pain to get it in. I asked scoobymania to get one and never heard from them.

Paul
Old 14 July 2003, 12:41 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Ive usually found, that when you want something, you are best to go direct to the source. Not always, but a lot of the time. Saves hassle in the long run.

Trending Topics

Old 14 July 2003, 01:51 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Looks Huge, do you have any trouble with engine cooling, with that infront of the main rad?

What about boost pressure on the legesy? and what is the charge temp running with that system?

I think i'd have to go for somthing smaller though on the impreza just because of the car's size.

Looks exacly what I'm after though, cheers for a good bit of info.
Old 14 July 2003, 07:52 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

it's not that huge, and provides less pressure drop than an FMIC due to not have such thick tubes.

think about the rad having as much heat rejection capability as a FMIC that you would compare it to.

The standard Legacy air/water IC rad as about 380mm wide, and 260mm tall, 32mm deep. Mine is 660x280x40 respectively.

Just because the impreza is lighter/smaller, doesn't change the heat loads on the intercooler.

I have designed my system with 550hp power levels in mind. If I was doing it for a more reasonable 350hp then a single 18mm deep core would have been fine, although the 28mm is cheaper from Pace I think.

Paul