Notices

Quick Course on Central Locking

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2003, 01:37 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been having some bother with the central locking system – drivers door often wouldn’t lock/unlock when using the alarm or OE plip. Thought this might be sticky stuff in drivers door linkage etc. Cleaned it up & lubed but it still only works one time in 10… Therefore ordered a solenoid unit for the door.

Now if replacing the drivers’ door unit doesn’t fix it – can anyone give me a quick rundown of how the system works so as I can fault find when it is in bits this Sat? I assume there is a control box (housed near drivers knee) connected to all the door solenoids (more conns to the 'master' drivers door?)& the IR receiver for the OE plip. I guess this also has a feed from the alarm unit to make it lock and unlock?

Any overview gratefully received!

Thanks

D
Old 29 June 2003, 06:03 PM
555wickedways
Scooby Regular

Central locking controlled by drivers side.If it all works on normal key and on inside drivers switch,then problem is probably the auxilliary motor fitted inside the drivers door down the bottom.It has like a hook on which is activated by your key fob..turn and lock...turn and unlock etc.Might be poor connection or motor on way out.

CDL unit usually located on passenger side footwell- black box about size of cigareet box with plug coming out the top.

If you give more info,can try to be more specific...

Happy fiddling...
Old 30 June 2003, 05:26 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate - much appreciated. Should have taken the door panel off before getting the new actuator... Just a loose push connector. No faults and nothing busted in 4 years - that's just not possible I thought!

£80 to go back in bank!