Notices

Pipercross Viper Induction kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2003, 11:51 PM
Lewbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone got one of these? if so what do you think?
Old 25 June 2003, 08:51 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I think it looks good, but the cone's too small

MB
Old 25 June 2003, 02:42 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

Got one fitted to my car in november last year, £200 ish.
That filter nearly cost me an engine, it's a foam filter and the oil on the filter covered the MAF sensor, then the car ran very very lean and could have gone BANG. Found this all out after the car went into safe mode and took in to P.E. and they explained the problem. Took the filter back, explained the problem and got a full refund.

IMHO i would stay clear of that filter even though it's got a good design by taking all the air from outside the engine bay.
Buy a K&N filter and box it in and get a direct line of air to that from outside.

Adam
Old 26 June 2003, 06:54 PM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

well i ordered one on mon this week, they had to make it, ive had 4 diff kits now this was the hardest to fit well if you wanted , it to fit correctly and flow propper, the gasket sent with it didnt line up with my maf ?sensor holes and the rubber bung to blank off one of the welded pipes, on the alloy plenum doesnt fit didnt oil the filter as the instructions sent didnt tell me too, but it looks dry, they dont do one with the fresh air feed which i wasnt aware off till it arived well pissed off, found out they make two types of the viper, dont make it clear in any advert,s ive seen, been out in it thought it seemed slower, stopped in lay buy and re fitted K +N and was exactly the same, warm day to day, like the alloy plenum looks and works well absolutly straight air flow into engine, and now ive removed that white box inside inner wing ,air flow comes out of hole straight into the viper so im going to try again, not enough room for the fully sealed sysyem to fit,
Old 26 June 2003, 06:56 PM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

oh my car is a 94 wrx sti import, told em before i ordered it,???
Old 26 June 2003, 08:58 PM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ok remember just got it to day , looks the dog's, got pics, just been out with K+N fitted then put a blitz sus power on did the same route now both these filters performed better than they ever have in the past as ive left the straight, line piper x kit fitted, obviously with out the viper filter, now fitted viper filter and done same run, conclusion so far, viper is noticeably better in town and low revs, no probs in mid range and felt stronger up top too, remember ive removed that white box in the inner wing, so im getting air forced intp filter, and the car has other mods too, i recon though on a dyno the piper may not show a good result, as its ment to have air forced up to its intake, but well pleased with its performance , need to run it for a while for ecu to alter to suite it, off out with it fitted now, if you want any pics np, mark. p.s. still not oiled it may use a diff air filter oil, but im using an older car which have more robust, maf .
Old 27 June 2003, 08:27 AM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

exesspeed

When i fitted the viper i really noticed the differance too.
I managed to get the direct air supply from outside the car but was a pain in the ar$e.
At the momment i have still got the viper ally inlet pipe with a K&N filter.
Link to my original post when i got mine HERE

Old 27 June 2003, 10:00 AM
323GTR
Scooby Regular

I heard of a case recently with a similar filter where a rivet came loose from the casing, and was sucked through the engine, resulting in a very expensive rebuild. If the vector is rivetted tigether, check the carefully. Also, be very careful where you put the ram air duct, and stones and gravel will puncture the foam filter. Having looked inside one of these, my opinion is it's a lot of cash for not a lot of filter...
Old 27 June 2003, 04:26 PM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

well i thought the same when it was deliverd, but i think not i spent £30 on fuel last nite its that good, and you det an alloy spun plenum which is awsome ive got both a 57i kit and a blitz sus power, none come close to the viper in throttle response or top end revs, and in towm they are no ware , now, i wouldnt of said this the other day, as i was happy with the car as it was, but wanted to try the viper, as a forced feed system, they work well on bike too, ive been told by piper X not to oil the filter, also you dont get the cold air pipe, as there is no room on the subaru, but the intake is bang on ,the hole in your inner wing, looks small ,looks like it wont flow enough air, but read about their findings, but the result is excellent, and because you dont get ,the feed pipe its £50 cheaper, BEST AIR FILTER IVE TRIED TO DATE. and regardinf filteration, i think the blitz sus power would be the worst, keep you imformed, . p.s looks awsome too. mark
Old 27 June 2003, 04:49 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

exesspeed
You have got room for the cold air pipe as i did it last year and it's still there now. When i get a chance i will take pic's and post them.

Adam
Old 27 June 2003, 04:57 PM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

nice one well mine's a 94 sti version 1 ,and piper x recon there isnt room and dont list one with it in their viper product list, just the viper anisters and fitting kits ect, regards mark
Old 27 June 2003, 05:03 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

That's what they told me.
Run it from the filter into the wheel arch. behind the plastic arch above the wheel then out the bottom of the plastic base between the wheel and front bumper.

Sounds abit mad but it's better than it sounds, as they say a picture paints a thousand words, so i'll try and sort the pic's

Adam
Old 28 June 2003, 06:00 AM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

well i must admit,as a kit inc a excellent replacement plenum too looks are very decieving, as its muchd better in all situations then either the 57i kit or the hks sus power kir, but looking at it it looks puny, but it more than delivers the goods, the pics ive got of it will explain, aldo its like a venturi in a carb, builds up pressure then wham in it goes , ive now lightly oiled the filter too, keep you imformed, ,mark
Old 28 June 2003, 08:12 AM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the size of pic's but here is the cold air feed that's still on mine from the viper. Not doing that much now, but before the red flute was going into the viper filter, eliminating any hot air from the engine bay.

Adam

Edited to say "BLOODY PIC'S THERE WAY TO SMALL" must get that sorted!!

[Edited by rb5037 - 6/28/2003 8:14:58 AM]
Old 28 June 2003, 05:19 PM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

excellent, so there is room to fit it to the filter head, then route it through the hole on the inner wing, thank for the pics, mark
Old 29 June 2003, 07:28 AM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

went out to nite just to see a mate, in st,annes approx 4 miles car is running and performing so much better ened up at devils bride, near the lake, then came back across pilling sands absolutly drove the car, viper as fot induction, on my car is the best ive ever used, cant fault it.
Old 02 July 2003, 07:12 AM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

still sound, one prob, its that good you cant stop driving, costs me a fortune now, as i take the longest route, lol