Notices

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2003, 10:00 AM
markda
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realise this question has been done to death. However I would like some advice from any of you as to my next move.

Last night my "engine check" light made came on. I had been cruising at approx 90 mph for about 15 miles on an empty motorway. I of course pulled over, checked everything I could think of and it was all normal. So continued with caution seeing as the light had now switched itself off.

Anyway just to give you some background, got caught short at the weekend and was forced to throw in 1/2 tank of (95 RON) unleaded. While this is something I do my best to avoid, very occasionally when no SUL available have little choice. The car is only a standard MY00 UK turbo, and historically I have never had any problems.

I am hoping (and praying) this is due to some poor quality fuel. So although I am quite prepared to get under the dash and connect the two black connectors to read the ECU fault. I am reluctant to rush out and replace whatever sensor that flagged the problem.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me? if it was poor fuel, what sensor is most likely to report a fault? Should I attempt an ECU reset, full tank of SUL and see if the problem comes back? help??

Old 29 May 2003, 10:35 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'd read what the fault code is before trying anything else. Then you know what your dealing with.

With a bit of luck it will be a transient thing brought on by the drop in fuel quality. Then again, it could be totally unrelated - such as a connector that's working loose.
Old 29 May 2003, 11:36 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Hey Mark how ya doing? What part of Hanst you from matey?
Old 29 May 2003, 11:42 AM
markda
Scooby Newbie

I live near Basingstoke,
Old 29 May 2003, 01:19 PM
rayman_2
Scooby Regular

Mine has similar symtons to start with, I ignored it eventually the cooland sensor went and it ran to rich. The rad fans used to stay on all the time. Totally undrivable. Check the fault codes first just do a search.

Its fixed now, obtained the sensor from graham goode.

Old 29 May 2003, 03:35 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

same model, year and problem..!

I rang the dealer the first time, who suggested it was a bit of bad fuel and to ingnore it. The second time I had it diagnosed, and it came up as a faulty 02 sensor.

The weird thing is that my 02 sensor area was uncovered and covered in oil and various oth crap. I cleaned all of this off and resealed the entry point on the sensor - touching wood, no further issues...