Notices

Running increased boost levels on a 1995 sti type ra

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2003, 03:47 PM
stitypera
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading the various posts on running increased boost levels, and where the fuel cut-off is, and what are safe levels. I purchased the car about a year ago fresh from japan. Initally, after driving the car a while realised the car was running 0.7 bar (reading the boost gauge), which after investigation i realised was a bit low (should be about 0.9bar i think). When looking under the bonnet i realised the car had a bleed valve fitted (remembered them from my rs turbo days), in place of where the solenoid was. I subsequently had the boost adjusted by the garage i purchased it from, and asked them to raise this to factory setting. As it happens the car is running at 1.1/1.2 bar boost, i've not noticed any problems with the fuelling or anything else, but am slightly concerned ( i only do about 3000mls a year)

1. Are the bleed valves safe? and should i be noticing a problem with this kind of boost(say with the fuel)(cars done 40000mls). I dont know what the fuel cut-off is on this vehicle. Is the bleed valve overiding the system?

2. If so, what recommendations do you recommend in ensuring safety.
Old 27 May 2003, 03:58 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

If you just want stock boost levels you would be better off removing the bleed valve and re-connecting the boost control solenoid.

If you want to adjust the boost a much better option than a bleed valve would be to use a Dawes Device. But by using any type of bleed device you are taking away the ECU's ability to control the boost, so it can't pull the boost down if any problems occur. This is not a mojor problem though, as long as you have some monitoring (AFR Meter, boost guage, and Knocklink ideally). I run a Dawes on my UK car as do many people on here.

[Edited by DreXeL - 5/27/2003 4:02:45 PM]
Old 27 May 2003, 04:07 PM
stitypera
Scooby Newbie

Thanks drexel,
should i be noticing a fuelling problem at this boostlevel, with no sought of additional monitoring gear or adjustement of the fuelling.
Old 27 May 2003, 04:13 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Your fuelling should be OK (mines fine at 1.2 bar, and it's just an MY97 UK [much smaller injectors than an STI]), but you should install an AFR meter to keep an eye on it. You should get a Knocklink aswell, detonation is a big killer of imports.
Old 27 May 2003, 04:21 PM
stitypera
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Drexel,
I'll have a look into the AFR meter and the knocklink.