Notices

steering - please help

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2003, 09:41 AM
rb5tfh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

over the last few weeks, my rb5 wrsport has not been pulling properly. The steering feels overly light (I know its a problem anyway, but this is scarily so). The steering does not firm up under speed. On a good road surface, in good weather, the wheels are skittering all over the place, resulting in steering wheel movement. If I am turning right out of a junction, the car seems to want to keep going straight instead of following the wheels to the right. From a standing start, too much power, makes it feel like the rest of the car wants to overtake the front wheels. The car isn't pulling cleanly at all, especially over 4000rpm. There are no tell tale noises apart from an irritating and intermittent chirruping noise, sounds like a loose belt, somewhere.

I am at a complete loss.

Wheels are 17" oz superlegeras with toyo t1s (less than 800 miles wear and plenty of tread). Suspension is Leda coilovers. Wheel alignment recently done - not kerbed and no potholes or similar. Tyre pressure has zero effect. I have tried subaru recommended pressure, 34, 35 and 36 psi all round. The firmer the tyres, the firmer the ride, but the steering and pull are still wanting.

I am backing off corners severely, even at low speeds. I am not sure if there is loss of power to the wheels, causing less grip at the front wheels and thereby making the steering feel light, or whether there is something wrong with the power steering. Any suggestions as to where to go with this would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 24 May 2003, 09:59 AM
rb5tfh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

my dealer has now said after weeks of denial, that there is a possible problem with the 4wd setup. Now I just have to hope that they repair this under warranty. Does anybody know, if such a problem, would have been a contributing factor to a screwed clutch and flywheel, as my dealer is strenuously denying it would be.